Klaus

Chief Editor

• Moderators
  • 3562 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:04 PM

Very impressive on APS-C:
http://www.photozone...ang35f14eosapsc

We had a bit of a WB issue on the EOS 50D but that's probably more a camera thing. There were no problems on the 5D II, D7000 and D3x here.
Chief Editor
photozone.de

#2 DenisLV

DenisLV

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:21 PM

When may we expect the results on FF?

#3 DenisLV

DenisLV

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:47 PM

I actually don't know if there is a single reason testing a full frame lens on croped sensor and afterwards on full frame. Well maybe there are reasons it just i don't know of them.
  • Brightcolours likes this

#4 ThomasD

ThomasD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:57 PM

I actually don't know if there is a single reason testing a full frame lens on croped sensor and afterwards on full frame. Well maybe there are reasons it just i don't know of them.

Imagine you are ordering ice cream: "I want strawberry and chocolate, please". Then the salesperson puts strawberry into your cone first. While waiting for chocolate you say "I actually don't know if there is a single reason putting first strawberry in and afterwards chocolate". After both flavors of ice cream are in you will realize how unnecessary your comment was.
Now imagine you would be getting the ice cream for free. Wouldn't your comment be even less appropriate?

Sorry for posting nonsense. I miss genotypewriter. :unsure:
  • BG_Home likes this

#5 boren

boren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:00 PM

It makes a lot of sense. As an APS-C user (with no intentions of going FF) I couldn't care less if the corners of the frame with a tested lens are blurry on FF, as long as the whole image covered by APS-C looks good. However, FF users surely would care.

#6 Klaus

Klaus

Chief Editor

• Moderators
  • 3562 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:31 PM

The point is ... teasing. ;-)
Chief Editor
photozone.de

#7 Klaus

Klaus

Chief Editor

• Moderators
  • 3562 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

The point is ... teasing. ;-)

And the reason is ... we've Nikon samples but I need to take the Canon samples yet.
Chief Editor
photozone.de

#8 miro

miro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationUdenhout, the Netherlands

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:55 PM

Hello Klaus,
did you use the latest version of Canon 50d firmware V 1.0.7
As far as I remember there ware some WB issues with older version in some situation.
However I haven't seen them in V1.0.6 - or maybe don't care since I shoot RAW

Greetings,
Miro

#9 youpii

youpii

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationParis/France

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:40 PM

One more super lens from Samyang. It's just amazing how this new company can design lens as sharp as the high-end OEM at 1/3 of the price. Makes you wonder how hard it is to design "L" primes :D

I have the 14/2.8. And it's indeed very sharp. But Samyang needs to come into the 21st century and give us at least screw-driven AF and lever-controlled aperture for Nikon/Sony/Pentax.
  • Lomskij likes this

#10 Klaus

Klaus

Chief Editor

• Moderators
  • 3562 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:05 PM

Hello Klaus,
did you use the latest version of Canon 50d firmware V 1.0.7
As far as I remember there ware some WB issues with older version in some situation.
However I haven't seen them in V1.0.6 - or maybe don't care since I shoot RAW

Greetings,
Miro

Actually I upgraded to the latest firmware after having experienced the WB issue. It didn't make a difference.
However, the exposure is more accurate now.

Chief Editor
photozone.de

#11 DenisLV

DenisLV

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:11 PM

I understand that majority uses cropped bodies out there, but what I wanted to say is that aps-c user may have a pretty much precises idea about the certain lens basing on the FF test results. FF users usually have less info to consider when the lens they are interested in is tested on cropped body, due to the specific reasons.

Thomas, I'm not referring to this samyang lens in particular. It will tested on full frame as well. Its not a problem for me to wait a little bit more because I've already waited for this review for quite a while. The issue is not that its been tested on aps-c first. Not at all.

Like Voiglander 40mm SL2 is very tiny interesting lens indeed. But its only been tested on Nikon's aps-c. If PZ intended to do only one single review of this lens why couldn't it be a tested on FF?

#12 Klaus

Klaus

Chief Editor

• Moderators
  • 3562 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:15 PM

I understand that majority uses cropped bodies out there, but what I wanted to say is that aps-c user may have a pretty much precises idea about the certain lens basing on the FF test results. FF users usually have less info to consider when the lens they are interested in is tested on cropped body, due to the specific reasons.

Thomas, I'm not referring to this samyang lens in particular. It will tested on full frame as well. Its not a problem for me to wait a little bit more because I've already waited for this review for quite a while. The issue is not that its been tested on aps-c first. Not at all.

Like Voiglander 40mm SL2 is very tiny interesting lens indeed. But its only been tested on Nikon's aps-c. If PZ intended to do only one single review of this lens why couldn't it be a tested on FF?

http://www.photozone...ander20f35eosff

The Nikon review is still missing, yes. But this is because of time constraints. Markus picked up speed here during the last few months so we'll surely see a review here as well.

However, against common perception among enthusiasts the full format market share is well below 10% and regarding the recent market trends this will probably shrink rather than grow.
We will, of course, continue to test on full format but please understand that we have to follow the majority of our readers - not vice versa.
  • BG_Home likes this
Chief Editor
photozone.de

#13 Klaus

Klaus

Chief Editor

• Moderators
  • 3562 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:20 PM

When may we expect the results on FF?

Probably on sunday or monday latest.
Chief Editor
photozone.de

#14 AlexanderE

AlexanderE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationAlta, Norway

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:55 PM

Very impressive on APS-C:
http://www.photozone...ang35f14eosapsc

We had a bit of a WB issue on the EOS 50D but that's probably more a camera thing. There were no problems on the 5D II, D7000 and D3x here.

They seem to be kicking ass in the optical quality department :o Just wow. Compare it to the Canon 35mm f/1.4 L. Amazing.

#15 mst

mst

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1758 posts
  • LocationWesterwald, Germany

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:09 PM

That lens will be in the next batch of FX reviews. Actually, all 4 current SL II lenses are already tested on FX (the reviews have just not been written, yet).

However, we've left for our family summer vacation today. From tomorrow I will probably be offline for at least a week. So don't expect too many reviews from me within the next 14 days.

-- Markus
Editor (Nikon, Leica, Samsung reviews)
photozone.de

#16 Klaus

Klaus

Chief Editor

• Moderators
  • 3562 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:40 PM

They seem to be kicking ass in the optical quality department :o Just wow. Compare it to the Canon 35mm f/1.4 L. Amazing.

The kick assing will continue in the full format section ...
  • BG_Home likes this
Chief Editor
photozone.de

#17 DenisLV

DenisLV

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:24 PM

That lens will be in the next batch of FX reviews. Actually, all 4 current SL II lenses are already tested on FX (the reviews have just not been written, yet).

However, we've left for our family summer vacation today. From tomorrow I will probably be offline for at least a week. So don't expect too many reviews from me within the next 14 days.

-- Markus

good to hear that you have plans on voiglander's. have a great vacation;)

#18 DenisLV

DenisLV

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:28 PM

Probably on sunday or monday latest.

Well than monday could be the latest day when I order my second samyang lens. The first one (14mm) was purchased thanks to the PZ review btw;)

#19 Lomskij

Lomskij

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:04 PM

One more super lens from Samyang. It's just amazing how this new company can design lens as sharp as the high-end OEM at 1/3 of the price. Makes you wonder how hard it is to design "L" primes :D

I have the 14/2.8. And it's indeed very sharp. But Samyang needs to come into the 21st century and give us at least screw-driven AF and lever-controlled aperture for Nikon/Sony/Pentax.

They could combine forces with Tamron :-)
SLR Camera, Zoom lens #1, Zoom lens #2, Zoom lens #3, Prime lens #1, Prime lens #2, Prime lens #3, Prime Lens #4, Prime Lens #5, Flash gun.

#20 Brightcolours

Brightcolours

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2760 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:33 AM

They could combine forces with Tamron :-)

Tamron is linked to Sony. Not very sure Sony would like a Korean player to link up with Tamron ;).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© by photozone.de