#3 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:26 AM

... and soon available. That's the (remaining) good thing: they announce only when they are able to deliver. The 19 mm PC is cool, but all people afraid of "bulbous elements" will shiver again.  ^_^

#4 Klaus

Klaus

Chief Editor

• Moderators
  • 5,414 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:50 AM

From Nikon:

http://imaging.nikon...4e_ed/index.htm
http://imaging.nikon...ed_vr/index.htm

Chief Editor
photozone.de

#5 Brightcolours

Brightcolours

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:54 AM

Nikon finally fixed the big issue the AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 VR II had: the widening of FOV towards MFD. Nice.

With fluorite and electronic aperture they went full on Canon  ;)

#6 Brightcolours

Brightcolours

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:00 AM

Sample images taken with the PC-E 19mm f4:

http://www.nikon-ima..._ed/sample.html

#7 dave's clichés

dave's clichés

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:56 AM

Nikon finally fixed the big issue the AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 VR II had: the widening of FOV towards MFD. Nice.

BC.  This FL change at close distances has plagued all but the Canon 70-200mm zooms, where do you glean that Nikon had corrected this effect on their new 70-200? I couldn't see reference to it.

#8 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:06 AM

:D a room with no straight vertical walls and a very dark room where you can't see vignetting... but nice pictures anyway. Interesting is, that tilt and shift can be done in different orientations - this is unique in Nikon's PC lens range.

#9 mst

mst

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationWesterwald, Germany

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:59 AM

And price-wise too! :)

Personally, I'm glad to see the customisable buttons on the barrel back again.

BC.  This FL change at close distances has plagued all but the Canon 70-200mm zooms, where do you glean that Nikon had corrected this effect on their new 70-200? I couldn't see reference to it.

All f/2.8 zooms, that is. The f/4 zooms (both Nikon and Canon, not sure about the Tokina) don't suffer from this. But also curious, yes... haven't seen it mentioned anywhere... BC?

-- Markus
Editor
photozone.de

#10 mst

mst

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:05 AM

Interesting is, that tilt and shift can be done in different orientations - this is unique in Nikon's PC lens range.

Well, yes, but not a unique feature in the market. You could buy 3rd party lenses that featured this for ages already - think of the Hartblei Super-Rotators for example, also the (insanely huge and expensive) Schneider Kreuznach T/S lenses can adjust tilt and shift directions independently. Same applies to the (very affordable in comparison) Samyang 24mm TS.

In Nikkor land, you either surrendered being stuck to one direction (and had it changed at a Nikon service point if necessary) or were bold enough to change it yourself... all it needs to do this on the PC-E 24 is a tiny screw driver (and nerves made of steel if you had to switch on site...). I guess, quite a few Nikon shooters rather went for the Samyang instead.

-- Markus
Editor
photozone.de

#11 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:10 AM

Well, not many 19mm tiltshift lenses for FF are availabable for Nikon mount. Schneider's shortest FL starts at 28 mm and Hartblei at 40 mm

#12 Brightcolours

Brightcolours

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:11 AM

No, that is not really true.

The Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8's did not have the widening of the FOV near MFD. The AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 VR did not have that either. No Sony (A or FE mount) has shown it. The old Pentax 80-200mm f2.8 did not either. Nor does the Nikkor 70-200mm f4 VR. Or the older Sigma 70-200mm's. Or the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro.

Only 3 lenses in this class do: The Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 USD VC, the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG HSM OS  (to lesser extent I think?) and the Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 VR II.

The specs of the new Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f2.8E FL VR tell the story (1.1m MFD 0.21x max. mag.).

AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 VR II: 1.4m MFD, 0.12x max. mag. .

• mst likes this

#13 mst

mst

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:28 AM

Well, not many 19mm tiltshift lenses for FF are availabable for Nikon mount. Schneider's shortest FL starts at 28 mm and Hartblei at 40 mm

Very true, for some that's likely the best news about the lens. Several pros I know, who shoot Nikon, usually rented a Canon body with the TS-E 17 if they needed a wider than 24mm TS lens for a specific job...

The price for the PC-E 19 is a bit steep, though...

-- Markus
Editor
photozone.de

#14 Brightcolours

Brightcolours

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:34 AM

The price for the PC-E 19 is a bit steep, though...

-- Markus

Wow indeed... I had not noticed that. The Canon TS-E 17mm f4 L currently costs $2150, and I just assumed the price of this new Nikkor PC-E would be in the same ballpark. But $3400.... Ouch.  :o

#15 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:44 AM

3400 $ is a bargain compared to what Nikon Switzerland asks for: 4078.- CHF (4120.-$)   :lol:

For that money one can decide to rent or buy the Canon version  ^_^

#16 obican

obican

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:07 PM

So they finally went on to have Canon specs for these two lenses, at x1.5 the price of Canon. Well done :).

#17 wim

wim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationMaastricht, Netherlands

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:43 PM

I just wonder whether Nikon now also has a fluorite factory, or generally, where they get their fluorite.

Canon grows their own fluorite crystals, and have always guarded the process with extreme secrecy.

Kind regards, Wim

#18 Rover

Rover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:58 PM

I expected someone to say that the PC-E is only 19mm while the Canon - released a few years ago already - is a more impressive FL of 17mm.  ;)

The price, well... one could almost get a Canon TS-E and a Canon body to go with it.  :rolleyes: (say, a used 5D Mark II; since it's a MF lens anyway the slow AF doesn't mean a thing).

#19 Brightcolours

Brightcolours

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:10 PM

I expected someone to say that the PC-E is only 19mm while the Canon - released a few years ago already - is a more impressive FL of 17mm.  ;)

The price, well... one could almost get a Canon TS-E and a Canon body to go with it.  :rolleyes: (say, a used 5D Mark II; since it's a MF lens anyway the slow AF doesn't mean a thing).

Or a new 6D?

#20 Rover

Rover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:28 PM

Or a new 6D?

Right.

Then again, there goes the "Nikon announced nothing for Photokina, Nikon must be on the deathbed" notion expressed around here lately. They could've safely announced these lenses during that show - they risked nothing since they didn't have to ship them right away. If they didn't, that means they just didn't want to (for whatever reasons).

• Brightcolours likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© by photozone.de