Photo

Next PZ lens test report: Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR (FX)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 mst

mst

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,057 posts
  • LocationWesterwald, Germany

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:37 PM

Not tempted to keep it:

http://www.opticalli...kkor2470f28vrfx

-- Markus
Editor
photozone.de

#2 Rover

Rover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:48 PM

Ouch. I wonder what the new Sigma is going to be like? It would be a shame (for Nikon) if the Art and/or the Tamron would outdo this fancy Gold-ring unit. :)

#3 mst

mst

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:50 PM

Yes, I'm curious, too. However, the Sigma MTF charts don't look too promising.

-- Markus
Editor
photozone.de

#4 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:45 AM

To me, this 24-70 region was never tempting. But if it was, I don't know how to decide: The asparagus looking Nikkor with nice focus and zoom rings or the big fat Sigma with a (too) small focus ring? Sigma makes some fuzz about special aspherical elements for better bokeh and the OS to be improved (and the one of 24-105 already is very well performing).

But price and weight are still "TBD", so let's see what they come up with. Edit: Just seen the weight, 1kg, what a surprise bored20x18.gif

#5 borisbg

borisbg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:44 AM

Markus, thanks for this review.

And this is at 24MP sensor, I assume the measurements will be worse on sensor with higher MP.

One small change is needed: "light fdall-off".

#6 borisbg

borisbg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:48 AM

Markus, is it possible to post pictures to show the drop in resolution at 70mm f2.8 compared to 24mm f2.8. The drop is quite significant.

#7 Brightcolours

Brightcolours

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,787 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:45 AM

The bad CA is most surprising. The example images seem to have most CA "corrected" though??

#8 mst

mst

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:31 AM

I just double-checked: CA correction is definitely not enabled in C1. I'm afraid the sample images just don't have enough harsh contrast to provoke it.

It's very visible on the distortion chart, though. This is a 100% crop at 35mm:

CA.jpg

-- Markus

Editor
photozone.de

#9 Brightcolours

Brightcolours

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,787 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:38 AM

Usually you don't need that high a contrast for the CA to be noticable. I guess the blue/yellow nature makes it a bit less noticable than for instance magenta/green.

Are the CA colours consistent though the focal range, or do they change? You can see that with some standard zooms. As far as I can tell from the sample images, it is blue/yellow throughout the range.

#10 mst

mst

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:43 AM

Yes, consistently blue/yellow.

-- Markus

Editor
photozone.de

#11 toni-a

toni-a

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationLebanon

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:43 AM

Ok the sample is good and hard to explain CA and vignetting by sample variation, quite a disappointing review, however would it be possible to test another sample ? the results seem too bad to be true. 

#12 Klaus

Klaus

Chief Editor

• Moderators
  • 5,405 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:42 AM

Ok the sample is good and hard to explain CA and vignetting by sample variation, quite a disappointing review, however would it be possible to test another sample ? the results seem too bad to be true.

Sorry, no retests. We are already doing entry tests to avoid lemons. If this was a bad sample the MTF charts would look more erratic.
Chief Editor
photozone.de

#13 dave's clichés

dave's clichés

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:50 AM

OK this is a thanks for the warning style review........

......surprisingly uninspired sharpness from 50mm up at the borders, poor vignetting and CAs...     and all this from a top of the range  expensive OEM lens...huge heavy and expensive! 

I suppose the question is: Is the Tamron better?    at the longer end it looks to be, has better CAs and can be bought for a lot less money!

#14 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:58 AM

The Tamron OR the Sigma  ;)

Meanwhile Nikon users do have nice choices. Maybe someone should tell Nikon about that.

#15 Rover

Rover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:15 AM

The Tamron had its share of gotchas as well methinks - like vignetting and distortion - but the resolution seemed better in both Canon- and Nikon-based tests. And then, the G2 version is looming...

#16 Klaus

Klaus

Chief Editor

• Moderators
  • 5,405 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:19 AM

The Sony 24-70mm f/2.8 is probably the only fast std zoom lens that is good. I don't expect anything from the new Sigma and Tamron.

But then this is a useless lens category - not really fast, excessively heavy and big, very expensive relative to what they offer. PERSONALLY I couldn't care less.

Something like the Canon 24-70mm f/4 makes more sense.

But we are all different.
  • JoJu likes this
Chief Editor
photozone.de

#17 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:45 AM

But then this is a useless lens category - not really fast, excessively heavy and big, very expensive relative to what they offer. PERSONALLY I couldn't care less.

Same here. I just think, wedding and event photographers like it very much. I'm neither that nor the other.

#18 toni-a

toni-a

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationLebanon

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:30 AM

Go tell this to wedding photographers for whom this lens is an absolute standard

the classic Nikon  trio almost every professional photographer using Nikon has   14-24/24-70/70-200

#19 dave's clichés

dave's clichés

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:57 AM

The Tamron had its share of gotchas as well methinks - like vignetting and distortion - but the resolution seemed better in both Canon- and Nikon-based tests. And then, the G2 version is looming...

Yes, the Tamron is less sharp at wider angles but better at the long end, vignetting is almost a stop better as are CAs......this is disappointing after the "rabbit from the hat trick"  70-200mm E VRII.  

I don' t know how much the Nikon is, but I see it at well over two grand, the Tamron can be had for less than "a" grand, so the latter has some good excuses!       Bring on the G2!  

Gotchas from the Tamron?  .....a few ..but financially the Nikon will have gotcha by the short and curlies..  :o

The Tamron at 70mm focused closely was less than 45mm effective FOV, How's the Nikor here?

#20 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:22 AM

Go tell this to wedding photographers for whom this lens is an absolute standard

the classic Nikon  trio almost every professional photographer using Nikon has   14-24/24-70/70-200

As those are the only goldring zooms Nikon has to offer with f/2.8, there's not much of a choice.

One can find comfort in the knowledge the 24-120 and 24-85 are much worse  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© by photozone.de