3 replies to this topic

#1 dave's clichés

dave's clichés

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:02 PM

This lens looks a super sweet little darling....the Meike 28mm F2.8 MF pancake lens.......

......and it's as flat as.....

.......the bottom line is it's a mega bargain !!

Here Ephotozine does a nice evaluation of this twee little optic!

https://www.ephotozi...ns-review-31149

• Arthur Macmillan likes this

#2 Arthur Macmillan

Arthur Macmillan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:34 AM

Hi Dave!

I could see the appeal it could have, especially for people who like really small lenses.  It would turn a MFT MILC into a pocket camera. 

The thing is...there are two sort of pancake like normal zooms in the native format!  This really blows my mind!

at 0.9 inches: Olympus 14-42mm EZ (for Electronic (only) zoom).

~0.94 inches: Panasonic LUMIX 12-32mm MEGA O.I.S.

I apologize for inches, and not mm, and the little font change.  I just happened to be trying to decide what would make the best low priced MILC pocket camera, and so, being a DSLR user, I had no idea that there were lenses that cover the entire "normal zoom range" with a less than an inch length form factor!

Also, these are lowly kit lenses, and are not true pancakes, they are collapsible, they are not primes, not constant aperture, and as fast.

...But I consider this to be kind of big news.  MILC's are beginning to actually be tiny and sensible.  In fact I've gotten to the point where I wish I owned one.

Your 28/2.8 fits right in.  You need a normal zoom.  You need a normal prime.  They should, IMHO, not be the size of all outdoors.  I really am starting to want a MFT camera!  The only downside, is they are so small, I'd probably loose one!

#3 Brightcolours

Brightcolours

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,832 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:16 AM

It would complement the EF-M 22mm f2 STM on my EOS M quite nicely, making FF equivalents of 35mm f3.2 and 45mm f4.5.

#4 dave's clichés

dave's clichés

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:17 AM

Hi Arthur,

It is tested on the M4/3rds Panasonic so we are getting a "sweet spot" sort of result.

It's the sort of lens that inspires, as you say, to a teeny weeny M4/3rds S/H body!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© by photozone.de