Photo

LensRentals on two new Sigmas - so-so and oho!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:11 AM

So-so: Sigma 24-70/2.8 Art:

https://www.lensrent...harpness-tests/

(Actually, I was tempted to write "another mediocre 24-70/2.8" but it would be an insult to "mediocre", apparently the Sigma is a bit less than average and far away from excellent)

Closer to excellent and apparently quite yummy: 14/1.8 Art, therefore oho:

https://www.lensrent...1-8-dg-hsm-art/

Which should be interesting for Astro-stuff.

However, I still would like to see how it catches up with Irix lenses.

#2 stoppingdown

stoppingdown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationGenoa / Milan, Italy

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:30 AM

24-70 is really an unlucky range...

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm ƒ/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm ƒ/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm ƒ/2.8, Samyang 8mm ƒ/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm ƒ/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.

#3 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:09 PM

For me it's okay - I don't even remotely need to think of replacing my 24-105/A Art against this shorty  :D

But the 14/1.8... Maybe I'll try to get my hands on a Irix 15 or 11 mm although none of them is offering f/1.8 but then, f/2.4 is also not bad.

#4 Klaus

Klaus

Chief Editor

• Moderators
  • 5,414 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:15 PM

So as expected.

Chief Editor
photozone.de

#5 Rover

Rover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:26 PM

Soon to be found in the Photozone's lab, innit? :) The Lenstip review of the 14/1.8 is inspiring, though I'm not going to get this lens any time soon, and its f/2.8 predecessor is going to serve for quite a while still...

#6 borisbg

borisbg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:01 AM

Looking at lenstip sample images I see good sharpness even at 1.8.
Size and weight seems to be justified.

#7 JoJu

JoJu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:47 AM

The sarpness is one thing. To manage tp get it on the sensor with all the limits of DSLR AF (in terms of narrowing the single AF focuspoint) is a different story. Sigma needs to simulate non-existing lenses and tell the AF-unit a more or less correct acceleration.

Although this lens is great for sure, the pleasure of using it with a DSLR will be limited. The wider a lens (in double sense, here it is "wide aperture" and "ultra-wide-angle"), the more difficult it is to AF. Using that lens in lowlight situations wide open should not be done with too high expectations and best be done with LiveView. It's a perfect lens for Sigma's own mirrorless sd quattro/-H (which totally sucks in lowlight...) but the DLSRs will have to chew on that one.

#8 dave's clichés

dave's clichés

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:59 AM

I had trouble believing the Sigma 24-70mm would actually be that average.   It's the right moment then for Tamron and the announced  G2  version of the standard FF zoom.

If their recent track record is anything to go by Tamron may be the obvious choice........we will see when it arrives!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© by photozone.de