Opticallimits
new Nikon gear - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Nikon (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: new Nikon gear (/showthread.php?tid=1291)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

new Nikon gear - mst - 01-09-2015

Quote:If you want a collar and already have Arca-Swiss plates, it might be worth to have a look a Really Right Stuff versions - a little more expensive, but more versatile. See http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/AF-S-70-200mm-f-4G-ED/LC-A12-Pkg-Lens-collar-and-foot-package.html
Ah, thanks for that. I haven't checked the RRS web site for ages, so I wasn't aware that something like this exists. Everything here uses Arca-Style plates, so such a collar would indeed make sense. Even though it looks a bit bulky...

-- Markus

new Nikon gear - mst - 01-09-2015

Quote:I already read, Nikon wants to reduce the flare via software. So, nothing for me, because I will not change all my workflow and I will especially very NOT fiddle around with Nikon's raw-converter and use another tool to organize my pictures. So, when are flares to be expected? If the answer is "occasionally on pointy highlights, round light sources, sun, waterdrops, reflexes in the eye" they can keep their lightweight shorty.
Same here. Nikon software is a no-go for me. I want as much as possible in one place (place = piece of software) and thus I'm already looking forward to a hard time when I have to find a substitute for Aperture. Anything made by Nikon will definitely not fit in there.

About the flare: I have no idea yet when I will review this lens (but rest assured it's very high on the priority list). But I will definitely have a close look at when and how flares happen with this lens.

-- Markus

new Nikon gear - Guest - 01-09-2015

First pics from the new 300mm Nikkor are looking very promising.

https://photographylife.com/nikon-300mm-f4e-pf-ed-vr-image-samples

Right click and open in a new tab/window to see the pics in higher resolution

best regards

Claus

new Nikon gear - Brightcolours - 01-09-2015

I saw those a few days ago, Claus, and the lens appears to render nicely. Nice lens.

new Nikon gear - JJ_SO - 01-09-2015

It's not - at least so far I could see that - a kind of flare with ghost pictures, it looks more like a halo. And I'm not sure, if that's the reason of some moisture around the light? The pictures I've seen so far have great colors and sharpness. I also like the way it's rendering background. I really don't know what I would do if I get a call from my dealer "you can pick up your Sigma".

Pity the sample pictures posted by Claus "only" show the D4s and D750. I'd like also to see what it can do in front of a D800 and it's colleagues.

And Markus, I really hope Apple gets something nice with their Photos.app. My issue is, I'm so used to Aperture and tried a couple of other converters which are better in particular aspects, but the way of handling a fat library with more than 25k pics, half of them D800 / D810 - it's awesome, still, after all those years of nearly no improvements  :wub:

new Nikon gear - stoppingdown - 01-09-2015

Unfortunately, raw software is a sort of vendor lock-in. I'm fine with Lightroom, but I'm worried in case Adobe played some dirty trick in future...

The only comfort in this is: It can happen with each vendor…  Sad

new Nikon gear - Scythels - 01-09-2015

DCraw will be around forever, and it's developed a bit more than an hour from my house!

There is always basic matrix addition to debayer as well.  If you have This array:

R1 G1 R2 G2 R3 G3

G4 B1 G5 B2 G6 B3

You can take R1+R2= Rx, R2+R3 = Ry, G1+G4+G5=Gx, B1+B2=Bx, etc.  Other addition methods work as well... 

Then one only has to decode the header and extract the data array.  Non-bayer sensors are trickier, but reading bayer is relatively easy and there are many open soruce options.  ImageJ is another option that will be around for yet a while longer.

new Nikon gear - stoppingdown - 01-09-2015

Open source such as dcraw is sort of last-resort warranty, but it's not enough. First because it's just the bare-bones. But even if it had a full UI, etc... Once you have to abandon Lightroom with tens of thousands of post-processed photos, including their settings, they are simply not portable. You have all the data in the XMP, but e.g. vibrance=+7 has a meaning for Lightroom, not for any other application. Unless somebody writes a really well crafted and precise conversion tool (and assuming that all the post-processing has a precise mapping in the destination software). It's the pitfall of RAW + the lack of a complete, usable open source tool.

I'm not looking for the eighth RAW converter. I want to use a DAM system like Aperture or Lightroom. Fiddling around with folders, file systems and metatagging is just so eighties…. And I prefer to pay for a good product rather than get OpenSource where tons of cooks are cooking a pretty unpredictable meal.