Opticallimits
Nikon revenue collapsing ... - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Nikon (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Nikon revenue collapsing ... (/showthread.php?tid=4842)

Pages: 1 2

Nikon revenue collapsing ... - Klaus - 08-06-2020

https://www.nikon.com/about/ir/ir_library/result/pdf/2021/21first_all_e.pdf

-63% - so unsurprisingly they are hit the worst among all manufacturers ...
massive losses

I reckon this the end of their compact camera business at the very least.

RE: Nikon revenue collapsing ... - fotorrhoe - 08-07-2020

(08-06-2020, 11:14 PM)Klaus Wrote: https://www.nikon.com/about/ir/ir_library/result/pdf/2021/21first_all_e.pdf

-63% - so unsurprisingly they are hit the worst among all manufacturers ...
massive losses

I reckon this the end of their compact camera business at the very least.

Compacts are almost dead even in their own forecast for the year that startet in 2Q20 (-70% in units; market share down to 8%).
But even more important is the assumption for interchangeables. In cameras and lenses they expect a loss of market share down to 16% vs the competition who suffer from the market shrink and COVID as well.
This business will be less than 30% of Nikon total business in 2021!
This doesn't sound like a post-COVID recovery or strategic plan for consolidation of the imaging business but like Olympus 4 years ago.

RE: Nikon revenue collapsing ... - Klaus - 08-07-2020

Yes, and the release of the Canon's Rs won't help them.
The Z cameras are great but their lenses aren't overly exciting really.
They are also basically non-existent in the video segment - and that's basically the last (small) growth segment.

I guess it's almost good for them to reduce the share of the imaging department in their overall portfolio.

RE: Nikon revenue collapsing ... - Rover - 08-07-2020

TZE adapter to the rescue. Smile
In a world where monies grow on trees, I would've probably go that route. Z mount is at least semi-adaptable unlike R that only really takes EF lenses (apart for the native ones, of course).

RE: Nikon revenue collapsing ... - toni-a - 08-07-2020

Nikon marketing seem to be committing some deadly errors, for instance they allowed others to attack them on racism on several instances.
Also they didn't know how to sell some innovative products like Nikon 1 AW series the unique MILC that was waterproof and shock proof, let alone using iphone sensor on a MILC...
They are relying too much on a very large fan base, that would buy anything with the name Nikon on it, dunno how much time they can survive with that

RE: Nikon revenue collapsing ... - thxbb12 - 08-07-2020

(08-07-2020, 09:58 AM)toni-a Wrote: Also they didn't  know how to sell some innovative products like Nikon 1 AW series the unique MILC  that was waterproof and shock proof, let alone using iphone sensor on a MILC...

The Nikon 1 AW didn't use an iPhone's sensor, but a 1'' sensor, like the other bodies in the Nikon 1 series. The sensors used in an iPhone are much smaller than 1''.
I actually think the Nikon 1 AW filled a niche that nobody else tackled up to this day.
The only waterproof camera with a reasonable sized sensor is the SeaLife DC2000, a camera that features a 1'' sensor, it can go as deep as 60m but the ergonomics are horrible, it's slow and uses a fixed lens.
I'd have purchased a Nikon 1 AW if they had carried on with it.
I think that MFT could have a niche in scuba diving, if they were to release a set of fully waterproof bodies and lenses down to at least 25 meters.

RE: Nikon revenue collapsing ... - toni-a - 08-07-2020

IPhone sensor was a way of saying tiny sensor, surely it didn't have an iPhone sensor.

RE: Nikon revenue collapsing ... - davidmanze - 08-07-2020

When Nikon brought out a DSLR ...... the world was all ears .... everyone was full of expectations ..... and they weren't disappointed .... especially with the D500 /D850 ... they lead the way .......

....... how things have changed ......... the Z6/Z7 was the last of the big headlines and although decent .....  they were up against Canon and especially Sony's AF ... all there was was a couple of FWs which were so so ....... and we've hardly heard a word about them since ....... excepting lesser bodies (Z50/Z5)

.... they are just no longer on the front page and that's super important ..... and now they're missing the boat ......

...... who's really interested in the Z8/Z9 at this moment ..... who's even mentioning them ?? 

...... zero utubes .... zero uber bodies ..... zero buzz!

RE: Nikon revenue collapsing ... - Klaus - 08-07-2020

Well, in this market environment you've got two options - be aggressive and target a gain in market share and higher production utilization - or you consolidate.

What you can clearly see is that Canon is in the first camp and Nikon is in the 2nd. Sony can afford to be somewhere in between. Of course, Nikon is also in a different situation - they are (or have been) massively dependent on their imaging department - whereas it's one of many for Sony and for Canon it's at least not that bad (albeit I'm not sure whether having a printer business is brilliant either ...).

While Canon/Sony shine from a consumer perspective it's the question of whether it'll work out for them. There is old business wisdom - never try to catch a falling knife. And this clearly applies to the camera market. "Funnily" it's probably not Fuji/Panasonic/Olympus/Pentax who are in deep s**t. It's the big boys with their massive production facilities. The small ones just reduce some lines in their single facilities. The big ones have to close complete factories and reduce R&D. It's a fixed cost nightmare.

FWIW, the same applies to 3rd party manufacturers. I'm slightly wondering how Sigma/Tamron/Tokina are doing. Sigma is the biggest lens manufacturer in the world ...

RE: Nikon revenue collapsing ... - fotorrhoe - 08-08-2020

(08-07-2020, 09:31 PM)Klaus Wrote: ....

"Funnily" it's probably not Fuji/Panasonic/Olympus/Pentax who are in deep s**t. It's the big boys with their massive production facilities. The small ones just reduce some lines in their single facilities. The big ones have to close complete factories and reduce R&D. It's a fixed cost nightmare.

FWIW, the same applies to 3rd party manufacturers. I'm slightly wondering how Sigma/Tamron/Tokina are doing. Sigma is the biggest lens manufacturer in the world ...

Maybe I missed something? Olympus is dead by daylight and Pentax calls 3rd party for new products.
Fuji and Panasonic are in better shape and may stand the next year or two. Hope so.
I see at least 3 companies quitting the traditional camera business. Not in our favor.