Opticallimits
That Canon link is now linking to the Nikon Z9 sports camera - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Nikon (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: That Canon link is now linking to the Nikon Z9 sports camera (/showthread.php?tid=4904)

Pages: 1 2 3

That Canon link is now linking to the Nikon Z9 sports camera - davidmanze - 10-07-2020

Nikon rumours Z9:

https://nikonrumors.com/2020/10/06/first-set-of-rumored-nikon-z9-mirrorless-camera-specifications.aspx/

RE: That Canon link is now linking to the Nikon Z9 sports camera - Brightcolours - 10-07-2020

$6000-$7000, with specs mimicking the Canon EOS R5 which has an MSRP of $4248 including battery grip. Will be interesting to see how the EOS R"X" will compare (and probably the Sony A9 III by then).

RE: That Canon link is now linking to the Nikon Z9 sports camera - davidmanze - 10-07-2020

It is clearly aimed as a ML replacement for the D6 ...... so it is priced accordingly ......... the Canon EOS-1DX Mk III and the Nikon D6 are around those prices .......

Sorry I don't see the R5 as a pro sports camera ......... or anything like ......

........ anyway I'm just happy to see something very promising, no extremely promising from Nikon ........ just in case I need a ML for the 600E, with a decent sized body and integral grip ........ and a pro battery !!

RE: That Canon link is now linking to the Nikon Z9 sports camera - Brightcolours - 10-07-2020

(10-07-2020, 08:13 AM)davidmanze Wrote: It is clearly aimed as a ML replacement for the D6 ...... so it is priced accordingly ......... the Canon EOS-1DX Mk III and the Nikon D6 are around those prices .......

Sorry I don't see the R5 as a pro sports camera ......... or anything like ......

........ anyway I'm just happy to see something very promising, no extremely promising from Nikon ........ just in case I need a ML for the 600E, with a decent sized body and integral grip ........ and a pro battery !!

The R5 has the best AF speed, high frame/data transfer rate you want/look for in a sports camera. What it lacks is the integrated battery grip. If that is not anything like....

It is correct that the D6 and 1D X III have similar prices. But they do have OVFs with big prisms and high speed mirror mechanisms that add to the price...

RE: That Canon link is now linking to the Nikon Z9 sports camera - davidmanze - 10-07-2020

(10-07-2020, 09:56 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 08:13 AM)davidmanze Wrote: It is clearly aimed as a ML replacement for the D6 ...... so it is priced accordingly ......... the Canon EOS-1DX Mk III and the Nikon D6 are around those prices .......

........ anyway I'm just happy to see something very promising from Nikon ........ just in case I need a ML for the 600E, with a decent sized body and integral grip ........ and a pro battery !!

The R5 has the best AF speed, high frame/data transfer rate you want/look for in a sports camera. What it lacks is the integrated battery grip. If that is not anything like....

It is correct that the D6 and 1D X III have similar prices. But they do have OVFs with big prisms and high speed mirror mechanisms that add to the price...

First off, a professional sports camera has to be able to fire the shutter as soon as it's switched on ......... R5 EVF = 3.5 seconds delay ....... if not allowed to sleep the battery life is poor even with a grip ........ and unless you shade the EVF eye sensor permanently ..... each time the EVF is off .... you press to fire and there is a 3.5 second delay before you see the EVF and can shoot again ........ that would drive protogs nuts!!
 Rolling shutter using electronic shutter is evident in fast action sports (not so noticeable with BIF though) ...... Canon even warns of that in their initial launch .... 

Mind you, if the Nikon Z9 doesn't do those things I wouldn't call it a professional sports camera either ....... my guess is they will adhere to those benchmarks as will Canon when they launch their ML pro sports body.

Lastly, much as the build quality is good on the R5 it is not built anywhere near the standards of the D6 or the IDX III in terms of ruggedness and durability and you pay for that ..... and of course it mustn't have glitchs, bugs or freeze up.

RE: That Canon link is now linking to the Nikon Z9 sports camera - toni-a - 10-07-2020

We don't all need every feature any camera has, for your case (birding) I think D500 is still the best option unless you need extra resolution or you have problems with noise.
Once it locks on subject mirrorless tracks perfectly and has deadly precision, but before that, it must find the bird...and that's where OVF is still king, also if you looking through the viewfinder all the time awaiting to have your subject from perfect angle or waiting for bird to show till today DSLR is still king

RE: That Canon link is now linking to the Nikon Z9 sports camera - mst - 10-08-2020

The actual good news is this single line in the rumor post:

"New Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 mirrorless lens is also rumored for the Olympics"

Protogs that currently use (and need) a camera like the 1Dx/D6 likely wouldn't consider switching without native lenses of that kind. There is hardly anything to gain by switching to a ML body and then having to use the "same old" lenses with an adapter.

On the other hand, by developing high end lenses, Nikon has to get the Z9 right. IOW: there is hope, the camera will perform on the same high level as the D6.

RE: That Canon link is now linking to the Nikon Z9 sports camera - davidmanze - 10-08-2020

(10-08-2020, 07:01 AM)mst Wrote: The actual good news is this single line in the rumor post:

"New Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 mirrorless lens is also rumored for the Olympics"

Protogs that currently use (and need) a camera like the 1Dx/D6 likely wouldn't consider switching without native lenses of that kind. There is hardly anything to gain by switching to a ML body and then having to use the "same old" lenses with an adapter.

On the other hand, by developing high end lenses, Nikon has to get the Z9 right. IOW: there is hope, the camera will perform on the same high level as the D6.

Yes, that Olympics line is key ....... and getting it right doesn't mean a stream of FWs fixing silly bugs and issues six months after the fact .....
 ....... it's got to be right out of the box!

Appendage:
If NR's images of the Z9 are the real thing ..... it's a very handsome beast!!

RE: That Canon link is now linking to the Nikon Z9 sports camera - Brightcolours - 10-08-2020

(10-07-2020, 11:04 AM)davidmanze Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 09:56 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:

........ anyway I'm just happy to see something very promising from Nikon ........ just in case I need a ML for the 600E, with a decent sized body and integral grip ........ and a pro battery !!

First off, a professional sports camera has to be able to fire the shutter as soon as it's switched on ......... R5 EVF = 3.5 seconds delay ....... if not allowed to sleep the battery life is poor even with a grip ........ and unless you shade the EVF eye sensor permanently ..... each time the EVF is off .... you press to fire and there is a 3.5 second delay before you see the EVF and can shoot again ........ that would drive protogs nuts!!
 Rolling shutter using electronic shutter is evident in fast action sports (not so noticeable with BIF though) ...... Canon even warns of that in their initial launch .... 

Mind you, if the Nikon Z9 doesn't do those things I wouldn't call it a professional sports camera either ....... my guess is they will adhere to those benchmarks as will Canon when they launch their ML pro sports body.

Lastly, much as the build quality is good on the R5 it is not built anywhere near the standards of the D6 or the IDX III in terms of ruggedness and durability and you pay for that ..... and of course it mustn't have glitchs, bugs or freeze up.

1st off... the R5 is ready to make a photo within 1 second after it is switched on.

The rolling shutter of the R5 is comparatively low, actually. Much lower than with a D6 or a 1D mk III, or A7R III/IV. But just like the D6 and 1D X III, it features a fast mechanical shutter, which shoots... 12 FPS 14 bits 45 MP RAW. Are you saying the D6 and 1D X III are not suitable for sports, now? The R6 does all those things with D6 and 1D mk III resolution, the R5 does it with 45mp.

RE: That Canon link is now linking to the Nikon Z9 sports camera - mst - 10-08-2020

(10-08-2020, 11:29 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: 1st off... the R5 is ready to make a photo within 1 second after it is switched on.

That might indeed not be fast enough. Especially if the EVF stays black during startup and you can't see where you're aiming.

Out of curiosity, I just checked with the D5: the delay between switching it on and the shutter clicking is basically zero. I assume it's not any different with a 1D-series camera.

Besides startup times, the biggest challenge for any manufacturer trying to bring a pro ML camera to market will be battery life. On events I took the D5 to (racing), I managed close to 5000 shots on a single battery. I don't see numbers close to that for any ML camera too soon.