Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympus OM-D EM-5 II released
http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalc...rk-ii.html

Easily the best bang for the buck still life camera  Big Grin

Quote:Easily the best bang for the buck still life camera  Big Grin
For 1300 Euro with kit lens? A mighty expensive bang that is.
My first reaction to the high resolution mode was: "That is not what an µFT is about - there are other cameras for high resolution images".  Seeing the comparison to the D810 and A/R on e.g. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/ol...m5-iiA.HTM I revised my opinon.  The moiree control on the E-M5II is just miles ahead of the other ones.  I start to see the point for certain needs (which I don't have).

Klaus you are considering upgrading for this for your µFT lens tests? 

enjoy
Quote:Easily the best bang for the buck still life camera  Big Grin

Hmm, I think it lacks PDAF.  If it is not faster in focus tracking than my E-M10, that will kill that nice machine for many applications.  But then who wants a large SLR these days?
enjoy
RAW images came out much worse than the JPEG results.  Whether this is to do with a flaw in the converter or not I cannot say.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-co...6296768709

Quote:RAW images came out much worse than the JPEG results.
The RAW images in normal resolution look OKish though, high res looks ugly indeed.
There is something wrong, look at the very big resolution difference between the JPEG and the RAW sample.

Quote:For 1300 Euro with kit lens? A mighty expensive bang that is.

1800€ with the excellent 12-40mm. It's not very expensive compared to a D810 or A7R + a high quality zoom. And the latter two won't give you a true RGB file and moiree-free image. In this regard, the E-M5II actually competes with multishot Hasselblad backs that cost >30.000€  Wink

Quote:Hmm, I think it lacks PDAF.  If it is not faster in focus tracking than my E-M10, that will kill that nice machine for many applications.  But then who wants a large SLR these days?

I think anyone who primarily wants PDAF and fast focus tracking is actually better off with a DSLR. Other high resolution cameras like the D810, A7R, 5Ds® and 645Z are also much more versatile. But in some use cases (reproduction & still life, certain kinds of landscape photography), the E-M5II should at least be on par, if not better.

Quote:The RAW images in normal resolution look OKish though, high res looks ugly indeed.

That's probably because the RAW files are 63mp, but only have about 40mp of information - which is why the JPGs are downsampled in camera.

Also, there seems to be something wrong with the dpreview samples, both JPG and RAW. Maybe they missed focus slightly (wouldn't be the first time...) or it's due to imperfections in the preliminary ACR support. The samples from imaging-resource look much better.