Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The new OMD EM5II ?
I know one photographer shhoting architecture with "just" an EOS 1. Architecture is an excellent field to his technique, small HDR panoramas with some classy lenses like Zeiss Sonnar. Trouble ist only: He spends lots of time to shoot and even more to stitch and do the HDRs. If time is paid - no problem. But if another guy comes with a PhaseOne, shift lens and gets his 80MP in one go, maybe a bit of HDR.

Scythels, not only static subject - the cam as well should also remain static, shouldn't it? Mulitplicating optical flaws is not what I'd need...

dave9t5, either dividing a very short time to mulitple less shorts or multiplicating a very short time, advantages and downsides have both procedures. But I don't think it's strictly mulitple exposure as pictures are not exactly added - the sensor pixels don't stay in place. You're right, enough guessing, let's look forward to the results  Smile

"theoretically" sensor shift does also require a static camera - what it is doing is moving the sensor about a half pixel or so (this quantity is arbitrary) and re-exposing the image then using the data from both of those exposures to mathematically undo some of the aberrations of the system.  It counteracts optical flaws well if they are on the order of 1px in size, though often they are far greater, but also helps increase the spacial resolution as you effectively get something very similar to full color information for each pixel.

In practice computers can automate everything and work quickly enough that it is not such a big deal - it is analogous to the increase in rolling shutter when using an electronic shutter vs a focal plane or other mechanical shutter.

It doesn't really require a static (as in on tripod) camera. Small shifts in the image scene can be equalized I'd say.

I am also wondering whether a such image that would take e.g. 1/100sec  for all say 5 images.

Instead you may also do 5 images a 1/500sec. The combined results may be sufficient for the interpolation of the luminance information. The question may be how this would work out in the shadows. Maybe things are a bit "grey" with one image taken at 1/100sec and 4 images taken at 1/250sec or so.

Anyway - we'll see soon.

This will become interesting. What do we focus on to see the resolving power? Cats and other furry things or hair. Good times for people who can talk their victims into coma before snapping a shot  Big Grin All this interpolation stuff requires a super-processor - the normal RGB interpolation plus the multi exposure bit and then save that 40MP at how many fps?

Hair will become pretty grey when taken against frontlight, won't it? However, Olympus always was capable to cause some big eyes for their inventions. I'm ready for a surprise and skeptical at the same time. After all, it is kind of a stitched mini-panorama. And a pretty demanding thing to do. Instead of that they could have asked Sigma to sell some Foveon sensors - THAT would easily exceed 36 MP FF Bayer sensors  B)

Hasselblad had that implemented several years ago (2011) and claimed 200MP with 50MP sensor. I am not what the user feed back was.

I couldn't post the link here. It is under Hasselblad H4D-200MS... DPR has the announcement.

… and they claim this technique only for stills… no action, no handheld. And why has this camera type run out of production? You find it under "discontinued" products.

Here's a showcase in German and here one in English

The shrinking/consolidating medium format digital market has less to do with technologies like sensor shift and more to do with reduced demand.  with little to no increase in the performance of the bodies in what, 5 years, beyond megapixel count bumps from Phase One there is little to no gain to the newer backs.

Scythels, I believe that discontinuation has to do with usefulness of the technology in this case. If Olympus made it works mechanically it will require good computing unit in-camera to merge 4 raw files into one.
Which leads to the question "How RAW is raw after merging to increase sensor resolution artificially". In Hasselblad's case, I'm afraid, the new Pentax 645 is biting some cake pieces as well as Phase One with real 80 MP (not only multiple exposed 50 MP). Plus, Hasselblad focused on some quite stupid ideas - putting a wooden handle on a Sony you still have Sony. Selling that for so much more makes wood a pretty expensive material Wink 

Customers for Medium format are a lot, but for sure not stupid. If a manufacturer fools around too much, they get punished by the market.

I don't believe the discontinuation has to do with the technology - there are plenty of H5D successors to that camera.  The particular function didn't make it into the newer cameras, but that doesn't mean it killed that camera.

Regarding "how raw is raw" - raw files haven't been truly raw from any mirrorless manufacture in quite some time.  Canon and nikon provide reasonably 'raw' raw files (with canon's being more raw - as they do not median filter the low level data not that that is inherently superior or inferior) but to my knowledge every mirrorless manufacture cooks their raws.