Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Coming Oly EM1+12-40mm f2.8 MFT
Quote:Why not?

As I said, nice lens on MFT. But it is not a lot smaller than "f4" lenses on APS-C, is it?
Indeed, new buyers should have a look at the new Zeiss 16-70 f/4.

24-105 equiv. in a body that is comparable in size with the new olympus 24-80 equiv.

In terms of sensor efficiency, we do not see a full stop difference between a nex-6 and an OMD E-M5 IIRC but that discussion is relevant to low light situation, and frankly, few people will think "I wish I had a f/2.8 on MFT" while shooting a F/4 on an APS-C. So DOF wise, the Zeiss offers similar control on a lens with the same size and offering 25mm more in FF equiv.  Worth a look IMHO.
A MFT f/2.8 may offer a DOF of a f/5.6 on FF, yes. However, as far as I am concerned, a full format f/2.8 standard zoom it still not that hot for shallow DOF photography either. If I presented you a 70mm f/2.8 prime to be the best thing ever since sliced bread, you'd consider me to have gone gaga.

A 50mm f/1.4 or 85mm f/1.4 is fast, but not a 24-70mm f/2.8 - not in this range. A 200$ Sony 85mm f/2.8 is as capable in this respect as such a 2300$ zoom beast - how sick is this if you think about it ?

So if Oly can deliver great quality for 1K$ here, that will be great.

Quote:A MFT f/2.8 may offer a DOF of a f/5.6 on FF, yes. However, as far as I am concerned, a full format f/2.8 standard zoom it still not that hot for shallow DOF photography either. If I presented you a 70mm f/2.8 prime to be the best thing ever since sliced bread, you'd consider me to have gone gaga.

A 50mm f/1.4 or 85mm f/1.4 is fast, but not a 24-70mm f/2.8 - not in this range. A 200$ Sony 85mm f/2.8 is as capable in this respect as such a 2300$ zoom beast - how sick is this if you think about it ?

So if Oly can deliver great quality for 1K$ here, that will be great.
Still not sure why it will be great that the lens costs $999 (initially, mind you). And of course, f2.8 on FF does not deliver outstanding DOF control, but this lens still delivers 2 stops less, even.  How much do f2.8 primes cost for MFT?
A Canon 24-70mm f/4 costs 1400$ ... just to mention. And a 24-80/5.6L would also cost 1000$ - I'm pretty sure.

I don't state that 1000$ for the Oly is cheap. It isn't. However, it is probably the best there is for MFT. As such it is very welcome.

Quote:A Canon 24-70mm f/4 costs 1400$ ... just to mention. And a 24-80/5.6L would also cost 1000$ - I'm pretty sure.

I don't state that 1000$ for the Oly is cheap. It isn't. However, it is probably the best there is for MFT. As such it is very welcome.
I agree that for the platform it is a nice addition, as I said in above posts Wink .

I also agree that the Canon 24-70mm f4 L IS USM is very expensive, even though it is a stop faster (equivalent) than the Oly. For that reason I am not going to buy one when I get a 6D, even though the lens itself is quite attractive as standard zoom. If I want a standard zoom, it probably will then be the 24-105mm f4 L USM, which will do fine for standard-zoom purposes, I guess. Compared to that lens the Oly is a lightweight of course, but you do get a bit more tele range and a stop bigger aperture.

I could also consider the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 USD VC, but as you point out, for shallow DOF there are other more suitable options. Like a 85mm f1.8, a 50/55mm f1.2, a 135mm f2.8 or f2. Choices, choices...
Quote:If I want a standard zoom, it probably will then be the 24-105mm f4 L USM, which will do fine for standard-zoom purposes, I guess.
Hard to imagine that it is fun to carry this kind of stuff around. Simply too heavy... Big Grin
Quote:Hard to imagine that it is fun to carry this kind of stuff around. Simply too heavy... Big Grin
It is a heavy lens, I agree. Just like a 12-50mm f2 on MFT would be...  Big Grin Not super heavy though.

I am not sure yet about the standard zoom, anyway. I will get the 6D for other (including shallow depth of focus) purposes, together with a 50/55mm f1.2 lens, and possibly a 135mm lens. I already have a 50mm f2 and a 85mm f1.8, and finally can use my 90mm f2.8 macro to good effect with it (don't like it on APS-C). My 70-200mm f4 of course will be a nice lens still, on FF. Whether my 35mm f2 will do (extreme corner wise) I shall have to find out. And of course I still have my two 55mm specialty lenses.

Instead of that 24-105mm f4 standard zoom, I could also consider an EOS 100D with 18-55mm IS STM kitlens. That would cover standard zoom purposes, in a travel friendly and capable package. Camera and lens weigh about the same as the 24-105mm f4 L IS USM on its own.

I am a shallow DOF kinda photographer (at least half of the time), so an FF DSLR is the way to go for me. Talking about shallow depth of focus... I am currently constructing a "camera" with a ~50mm f0.5 FF equivalent lens. That is the same DOF as a 200mm f2 gives, but with a "standard field of view"... Well, the camera more or less is constructed, now I just have to adapt and compile the software side (scanner camera).

"Mirrorless" is no option for me: they lack an OVF. And ergonomics. And yes, I am one of those photographers who will benefit from  FF sensor size.
You should definitely buy yourself a 6D plus a 100D (for traveling) plus all the other gear you talk about.

Quote:You should definitely buy yourself a 6D plus a 100D (for traveling) plus all the other gear you talk about.
I know. I am a more creative photographer than most, so FF will not go to waste. And I am not going to buy that much gear, just a new DSLR body (my 450D is aging, is from 2008). I have a 35mm f2, a 85mm f1.8, a 135mm f3.5, a 50mm f2, a 55mm f3.5 macro, a 55mm f2 close up lens, a 70-200mm f4, and that 90mm macro. So, just contemplating on getting a 55mm f1.2 as big aperture standard prime and perhaps a FF standard zoom, or instead of that standard zoom a 100D with standard zoom. I spend very little on my gear over the years anyway.

So it is not that much "gear" besides the 6D for creative freedom and a 100D for standard zoom duties (and small travel kit).
Quote:Another thing to be noted is that this is Olympus' first standard zoom that you can actually stop down without being limited by diffraction.

What does this exactly mean? Can diffraction be cancelled by lens design? How is it possible?