Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panasonic GX-7 RAW samples at dpreview
<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:tahoma;font-size:12px;">DPreview is moving to a new studio scene comparison for which they tested 5 cameras so far (Canon 5D III, Nex 6, Oly OM-D, Sony RX100 II and Pana GX7).

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:tahoma;font-size:12px;">Here is the link to their studio comparison between the last 4 in the list above : http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8599640...s-review/2

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:tahoma;font-size:12px;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:tahoma;font-size:12px;">I have to say, I'm extremely impressed by the RX100 II, as it performs almost as well the others while having a sensor half the size! It clearly shows Sony's latest advance in sensor design. One can only imagine how well a MFT or APS-C sensor would fare with the same technology!

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:tahoma;font-size:12px;">In good light, I'd say the OM-D, GX7 and NEX6 are all about the same really, from low to high ISO.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:tahoma;font-size:12px;">However, in low light and starting from ISO 1600, the GX7 features more chroma noise than the Oly and the NEX6 (very close to RX100 II if you resize to print size). It seems to start loosing color accuracy earlier than the other two:

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:tahoma;font-size:12px;">[Image: 9516345834_ecfe5974de_o.png]

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:tahoma;font-size:12px;">[Image: 9513556165_4531034796_o.png]

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:tahoma;font-size:12px;">Oh well, I still don't think Panasonic fully caught up with Sony in terms of sensor IQ yet, but it's very close indeed :-)

Overall, I think the best one is, somewhat surprisingly, the OM-D.  I'd have expected the NEX-6 to beat it, but I don't think it's the case.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:tahoma;font-size:12px;">Oh well, I still don't think Panasonic fully caught up with Sony in terms of sensor IQ yet, but it's very close indeed :-)
Hard to tell based on these samples. Oly cams are typically ISO cheaters, e.g. for the EP-5 the ISO 1600 setting is in reality ISO 800 according to dxomark - in such comparisons this makes the cam look better than it really is - by a full stop!

According to the dpreview test, "the E-M5's measured sensitivities are about 1/3 stop lower than indicated across the ISO range". XE1 is worse, "the X-E1's measured sensitivities are about 1/3 to 1/2 stop lower than marked, which is unusual for a modern camera."

PS. I don't know why DXO dosn't test the Fuji X-sensor. Maybe they can't?

Quote:Hard to tell based on these samples. Oly cams are typically ISO cheaters, e.g. for the EP-5 the ISO 1600 setting is in reality ISO 800 according to dxomark - in such comparisons this makes the cam look better than it really is - by a full stop!

True, although Sony cheats as well although to a slightly lesser extent. According to dxomark, the OM-D is "cheating" by 1 stop while both Sony's are at ~2/3 stop.  That's about 1/3 stop of difference. Fairly close.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Looking at the sample images of GX7, EP5, and EM5 at dpreview, ISO wise they do not impress me very well. Even at low ISO the shadow part of the image does not show significant imporovoments to the old GF1/EP1. According to the DXO test, the high ISO performance of EM5/EP5 only advances by less than a stop (about 2/3 stop) over the GF1. The 2EV advances in DR mainly comes from the high light, it seems.

People shoud choose between MFTs by features, I guess.

Well, the GH3 (can only comment on this one) has a significantly better noise characteristic than the GX-1 - both at 16mp.

You mention a 2/3 f-stop advantage over the GF-1 - which is a 12mp camera. That's not too bad then.

We shouldn't expect any magic.

Quote:Well, the GH3 (can only comment on this one) has a significantly better noise characteristic than the GX-1 - both at 16mp.

You mention a 2/3 f-stop advantage over the GF-1 - which is a 12mp camera. That's not too bad then.

We shouldn't expect any magic.

Yes, 16mp vs 12mp.

On th other hand, I have some doubt about the DXO ISO measurement. For example, for the EP5 (and similarly, the D700), the "manufacture ISO" 200 and 100 both correspond to the "measured ISO" 102, which seems impossible.