•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So finally ... the Nikon D850
Even if there were adjectives to describe you and your typical comments, it would be useless to post them. Lack of insight. Everybody can see the obvious except you. As I said, you live in your own universe and are really good in bending facts so they could fit into it. Your blurb about dodging and burning speaks for itself and your poor attempts in lowering the efforts Nikon put into a new camera has "fanboy on crusade" level.

Nobody needs your "expertise" about Nikon.
You and your silly personal attacks. 

And here we go again.....

[Image: BagarreAsterix.jpg]

Quote:Nobody needs your "expertise" about Nikon.

Very well said.
I would get the D850 just to try out this film to digital converter.

Oh, and the silent shutter - finally!
Quote:I would get the D850 just to try out this film to digital converter.

Oh, and the silent shutter - finally!
That it "processes" colour negatives is pretty neat indeed!

According to DPReview, no  EFC shutter (again only in MUP mode), but with the redesigned shutter/mirror mechanism they think it might not be such an issue anymore
I don't get that, Studor 13: silent shutter was already available on D810, but I guess you mean first curtain electronic shutter in LV?

Just discovered Nikon finally put focus stacking abilities in a DSLR. As a first, alright, but a bit half hearted: the stack will not be internally combined to one RAW, and they only made a scale from 1 to 10 and leave the test rows to all users:

How much steps are needed for a certain aperture on a given lens?

How do I get starting and ending point? It seems, I only can decide the starting point and face the result lateron.

Another half or quarter hearted thing is WiFi, but as it always was Nikon's weak point so far. To be fair, transferring up to 9 45 MP/s RAW by WiFi is a big challenge and I don't expect to get this in a camera inbuilt.
Quote:I don't get that, Studor 13: silent shutter was already available on D810, but I guess you mean first curtain electronic shutter in LV?
That's still two different things: the D810 had a "Quiet" mode, where shutter and mirror were slowed down or delayed, resulting in less mechanical noise.

The D850's "Silent" mode completely relies on an electronic shutter, avoiding any mechanical movement. That means, the camera does indeed stay silent, but it also means the mode only works in LV mode.

Quote:Just discovered Nikon finally put focus stacking abilities in a DSLR. As a first, alright, but a bit half hearted: the stack will not be internally combined to one RAW, and they only made a scale from 1 to 10 and leave the test rows to all users:

How much steps are needed for a certain aperture on a given lens?
How do I get starting and ending point? It seems, I only can decide the starting point and face the result lateron.
I haven't read much about the stacking mode, yet, other than that you select the distance between shots from a scale of 1 to 10 (where 1 means the focal length of the lens divided by 30) and the number of shots to take. This might take some practice, depending on how they implemented it, still it is a very welcome feature especially for product shots (and macros of static subjects).

I don't mind that the camera doesn't combine the shots, just as with panos I prefer to have control and the option to correct small flaws, so rely on additional software (for both, panos and stacking) anyway.
Editor
opticallimits.com

Alright, now it became clearer to me, that silent shutter thing.

About that focus stacking: it's good that something is available "onboard". However, I remain at "half hearted implementation" becaus I know the difference of a well implememted process like Helicon focus provides and a so-so with this kind of abstract numbers like CamRanger's app has as well. The latter includes lots of guessing or long rows of test shooting. All I knks is it depends very much on lens and aperture, but also on blend mode algorithms. And I don't fancy the perspective of blending 30 or more 46 MP RAW shots... So, I'm still looking forward to Arsenal's approach.

So, for product shots I still prefer the external dedicated software with bigger Live View on acreen. It,s my simple mind which wants a focus stacking option like

Setting Aperture

Tapping on the screen to define closest distance

Tapping again to set farest distance

Camera calculates the necessary number of shots

Tapping "start"

Camera puts mirror up and start the focus row

Mirror down

Calculating the RAW

Done.

This could be done quite fast in 7 or 9 shots per second, like a Lytro doesn't need much time to create that focus field. Just with mind blowing details....
With a focus stack series you will always have the focus breathing to deal with. Which means, there is no "calculating the RAW" step possible?

•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next