•  Previous
  • 15(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So finally ... the Nikon D850
JoJu, this is what you wrote:
"And here's why I think it's good to have enough DR (which is more than 12 stops...)"

Yet what you show is no where near 12 stops, let alone more than 12. So, where is why?
Quote:Your post speaks for itself.
Were you talking to me?

If so, you honestly do not know what you are talking about at all. It is not just using the curves, it is about burning and dodging, AFTER exposing correctly. A monitor does not provide more than 8 stops of DR (and often cannot handle the highest or lowest white and black values, except for the most expensive ones created for photo professionals), paper only 6, at most 7.

Essentially, I shoot for display on monitors and in print, and I process accordingly. That provides me with 5 to 8 stops of DR leeway, provided I expose well enough. Do note I tell my large print processing company to create 0-prints, i.e., no adjustments whatsoever, automatic or not, otherwise they actually do make DR and tonal adjustments.

In short, I am happy with the 12 to 13 stops of DR the 5D II provides me, it gives me more leeway than ever, and more than I need. I used to work with 9 to 10 in B&W, and much less in colour in my days of wet processing.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Quote:No, your way of measuring exposure just needs addressing. A D850 (there is no Canon 850D yet) does not give specifically more room in highlights. Your "expose for the bride's face" apparently underexposes. So, expose for the light present, and you get consistent exposures from image to image. And when that is not possible, learn to recognize mid tones and expose for those. Or alternatively, learn to guesstimate how metering on different faces will differ from a real mid tone, and use exposure compensation to... compensate.

The dress usually is not a nightmare, as most don't give light, but just are what our eyes say is "white". With standard tonal curves, and metering for mid tones, things work out ok. And even then, there is the headroom in RAW (the bright end) to work with still.

A D850's DR as a solution would work like this: Set the camera to ISO 100. Underexpose a lot (with ISO 100 that should not be an issue, unless in outdoor daaylight). Lift the entire tonal range to taste.

I have no issues with metering, when the picture is correctly exposed the dress is too bright without necessarily blown out highlights and when it looks too bright the details are not there when you look, will post photos tomorrow to explain
If there is nothing blown out, and you determine the dress to be too bright, you need to adjust the tonal curve (a bit less contrast).
Quote:If there is nothing blown out, and you determine the dress to be too bright, you need to adjust the tonal curve (a bit less contrast).

I'm not saying right or wrong here but;

My take would be not change the settings on the entire image if only the dress is blown out, but only to reduce the brightness on the dress only........ either by the highlight slider or the exposure slider using the adjustment brush in LR or PS. (RAW only)

The adjustment brush allows "isolated adjustments" within an image to:

Exposure. Contrast, Highlights, Shadows, Clarity, Noise reduction, Colour balance, Saturation, Sharpness etc.of course only in RAW.

This way only the dress gets adjusted leaving the correct balance exposure for the rest of the shot!

The more I see from the camera the more I want this camera.

Simply the best DSLR currently on the market.

Regardless how much our Nikon "experts" complaining and whining here.
Quote: I'm not saying right or wrong here but;

My take would be not change the settings on the entire image if only the dress is blown out, but only to reduce the brightness on the dress only........ either by the highlight slider or the exposure slider using the adjustment brush in LR or PS. (RAW only)

The adjustment brush allows "isolated adjustments" within an image to:

Exposure. Contrast, Highlights, Shadows, Clarity, Noise reduction, Colour balance, Saturation, Sharpness etc.of course only in RAW.

This way only the dress gets adjusted leaving the correct balance exposure for the rest of the shot!

Absolutely correct, however when you have 1000+ shots of a wedding to adjust things are not that rosy, having a good photo straight out of the camera is ways better, now you understand why the dress is a nightmare ?

Recently  

I stopped adjusting all the images, I let the couple chose the pictures they want to print and I do adjustments only on the pictures they want to print in large size (usually 30X45cm) 
Quote:The more I see from the camera the more I want this camera.
Simply the best DSLR currently on the market.

Regardless how much our Nikon "experts" complaining and whining here.
You won't catch me saying something against that.  Big Grin No matter what our lowlevel DR experts blurb about.  :lol:

It's a pity so many people want one, leading to a price increase and shortage of supply.
Quote:Absolutely correct, however when you have 1000+ shots of a wedding to adjust things are not that rosy, having a good photo straight out of the camera is ways better, now you understand why the dress is a nightmare ?

Recently  

I stopped adjusting all the images, I let the couple chose the pictures they want to print and I do adjustments only on the pictures they want to print in large size (usually 30X45cm)

Is it not possible to copy and paste settings to multiple selections of photos in LR?

Oh, and btw. you were asking about the D850 if It can recover highlights? Of course it can and I'm very sure it does a better job here than any Canon currently available - although my believe is no scientific proof ^_^ . There's also an exposure mode to expose for the highlights - could be handy unless you're not taking pictures in scences with lots of artificial light (bulbs). Highlight recovery within 3 stops usually is no problem.

Enjoy your 7D II anyway.

Quote:Is it not possible to copy and paste settings to multiple selections of photos in LR?

Oh, and btw. you were asking about the D850 if It can recover highlights? Of course it can and I'm very sure it does a better job here than any Canon currently available - although my believe is no scientific proof ^_^ . There's also an exposure mode to expose for the highlights - could be handy unless you're not taking pictures in scences with lots of artificial light (bulbs). Highlight recovery within 3 stops usually is no problem.

Enjoy your 7D II anyway.
I am not a lightroom user so can't tell, DXO is smart enough to do this however I prefer skin tones from DPP.

And yes, there will always be out there cameras better than mine of course, but that has never been a problem, saturday I did my first wedding with 7D mkii and I am very pleased with its performance , however I was happy with the wedding itself not with the photos. 

Allow me to go totally off topic: we have a patient (whose son is a lose friend of mine) hospitalized since two months who has been in critical condition several times in the last two months, his son was getting married saturday and normally he couldn't attend,nobody taught him his son was getting married, on saturday morning he knew accidentally and was very happy, then the nurse called me to say he was crying, we entered his room and saw the heartbreaking scene, I asked the nurses who would vounteer to go with me and take him to the wedding ?

To my surprise the head nurse, " Zaher" volunteered, so we arranged everything without telling the groom, and as he was waiting the bride to walk down the aisle suddenly in a great emotional moment it's his father on wheelchair accompanied by his doctor and nurse who showed, priceless moments... you imagine how the rest of the wedding ceremony went, when it starts with such an emotional moment of joy . The groom said seeing his father attending his wedding was the best moment of his life. 

•  Previous
  • 15(current)
  • Next