Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D7100 ...
... and no comment about it yet ?  :ph34r:

24mp and no AA ... sounds cool ... doesn't it ?

The same Toshiba sensor as in D5200 but without AA filter. It's strange that Nikon doesn't  anymore use Sony sensors in any APS-C model after so many years of collaboration. 

Quote:The same Toshiba sensor as in D5200 but without AA filter. It's strange that Nikon doesn't  anymore use Sony sensors in any APS-C model after so many years of collaboration. 

<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;">…. they've fallen out of love? … sony prefers the softer look corners? … nikon can never forgive the 900? …

<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;"> 

<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;">…. still, it looks like a cut down cropped off version of the 800, no? - so that when mst starts putting out tests from his new 800 he will just have to interpolate ff to dx - squeezy - 

<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;">… or, nikon being the fine techos that they are, thought that their lenses wouldn't be sharp enough for so many tiny pixels that they dare not put something else between lens and sensor - 

<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;">… or, it gives zeiss yet another chance to say "…have we got some lenses for you…" … and nikon a chance to get real with autofocus zeiss …. or something

I hope someday Nikon will release a BW FX DSLR like the Leica M-M Smile

Quote:<p style="font-family:Helvetica;">…. still, it looks like a cut down cropped off version of the 800, no? - so that when mst starts putting out tests from his new 800 he will just have to interpolate ff to dx - squeezy - 

I'm not sure what are you trying to say. If you think that 24MP APS-C and 36MP FF have a same pixel density you are wrong. 16MP APS-C and 36MP FF have same pixel density or in camera models D7000 and D800 which both have a Sony sensor. 24MP APS-C would be something like 54MP in FF.

One good thing about this sensor, it's better than Sony's 16 or 24MP APS-C and better than Nikon's own 24MP APS-C sensor. It's something around 2/3 Ev better than any other APS-C sensor in apparent noise at high ISO at same print size. It cab be thanked to expended DR at high ISo while SNR is only marginally than in Sony sensors.  
I seriously wish I was 25 years younger. (I just don't have the energy anymore)

Imagine being a say a wedding/event photographer or videographer with three of these? You could multi-cam to your heart's desire and get mind-boggling performance in any light. And for around 1000 euros! I paid 1600 euros for a D300 not that long ago which is looking rather expensive.

There's going to be a lot of happy photography students today.

I don't see this a being much of an upgrade for the current D7000 people. A higher res sensor that the other new DX cameras have and the focusing system from the D4/D800. The focusing system is the best news.

Nikon makes the 1.3x crop thing sound like a big deal but if you can't fill the frame in normal mode, you would do it in a post crop.

I see this camera as being most useful to people upgrading from the D3xxx/D5xxx lines.

Quote:16MP APS-C and 36MP FF have same pixel density or in camera models D7000 and D800 which both have a Sony sensor. 24MP APS-C would be something like 54MP in FF.

Yep, correct. And in addition, I don't see the D800 as FX test camera in the near future.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:I hope someday Nikon will release a BW FX DSLR like the Leica M-M Smile

Oh well, I'm not so sure about it. You really need to have a need for massive resolution to prefer a dedicated BW sensor over a colour one (and do BW in post processing). Or (as Leica) you feel the urge to get ISO performance close to the competition in at least one camera Wink

Don't forget that you gain ISO performance, but give up on other things you may have gotten used to (like recovering blacks or highlights, or applying color filters later).

Anyway: a friend of mine got his M monochrome yesterday. So far he is really happy with it, but he was used to shooting BW film not long ago. Nonetheless, can't wait to get my hands on his camera, soon Wink

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:I don't see this a being much of an upgrade for the current D7000 people. A higher res sensor that the other new DX cameras have...

I know at least one D7000 user who's considering an upgrade Wink

Regarding the sensor, though: it's the same res on paper, but don't forget the lack of AA filter in the D7100 (which the other two DX cameras still have).

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com