Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just used my 70-200 F4 at a lacrosse game
I got my Nikon D500 last year after my daughters lacrosse season ended. I also obtained a 70-200 F4
 Nikkor zoom shortly after. I tested the combination on my kids playing outside but today was the
first time it was used at a game...3 of them actually. The combination is very capable indeed. I shot
 half at 1/4000 and half at 1/8000 of a second. The lens was wide open the entire time on auto ISO
 and the highest it went was ISO 900. Color saturation and lack of glare combined with deadly accurate fast
auto focus and exposure produced better results than I thought possible. Sharpness across the frame was
excellent too. The review of this lens on this site is one of the main reasons I chose it...so a sincere
thank you is in order. The crystal nano lenses really are visibly superior.

I have a 2.8 VR2 70-200 on the way. My other daughter performs in plays and inside I will need the
extra stop. I don't look forward to the weight however.

If you shoot in sunlight I cannot recommend the F4 enough...a remarkable zoom. I shot 3 different
aircraft as they flew over...very high. The detail visible on the monitor while pixel peeping was epic.
 What a great performer!
Great to hear that. IMHO Nikon D500 is the best camera on the market now. Excellent AF covering the whole frame. Had the same impressions after getting 7Dmkii
Couldn't breathe without the D500!! Tongue
So today my daughters team won the regional championship...and I ended up shooting 4 games.
  I decided to use my new (found one in open box condition) 70-200 VR2 Nikon zoom. Optically it was very nice...but the weight!
 I missed some shots because of longer swing time to bring the beast to bear. The increase in
resolution was visible since I ran it at F4 and 1/8000 second exposure...no VR to save the battery.
 I shot 819 pictures...and aside from the handling penalty I am pleased with the output.
 For super quick paced action the F4 is certainly the wiser choice!
For 4 matches 819 pictures that's nothing, for sports I usually take much more, didn't you use burst shooting ??? For that D500 is excellent, for 4 matches I would take at least 10X more photos.
Battery and storage should be the least of your worries, since batteries and storage are quite cheap now, in your shoes I wouldn't hesitate a second getting extra batteries and cards, getting a battery grip is something else and a personal preference, personally I am not a fan of battery grips, others have other opinions.
[quote="toni-a" pid='44367' dateline='1525092174']
For 4 matches 819 pictures that's nothing, for sports I usually take much more, didn't you use burst shooting ??? For that D500 is excellent, for 4 matches I would take at least 10X more photos.
Battery and storage should be the least of your worries, since batteries and storage are quite cheap now, in your shoes I wouldn't hesitate a second getting extra batteries and cards, getting a battery grip is something else and a personal preference, personally I am not a fan of battery grips, others have other opinions.

I shot some bursts...and lots of pics of my daughter! I forgot the spare battery!
I don't want the grip...I like the way it handles as is. Lots of time spent chatting with other parents which cut into shooting...as well as cheering.
(04-30-2018, 01:53 PM)cistercian Wrote: I forgot the spare battery!
Why does that look familiar ??? Every time I have an important shooting I forget something, once I realized after 30 minutes drive that I had no cards with me...

What I fear in such events is forgetting to live the moment, sometimes you are too busy with photography you forget to live the moment and enjoy it !!!
Seems you enjoyed yourself quite well and had quality time with your daughter
(04-30-2018, 03:17 PM)toni-a Wrote:
(04-30-2018, 01:53 PM)cistercian Wrote: I forgot the spare battery!
Why does that look familiar ??? Every time I have an important shooting I forget something, once I realized after 30 minutes drive that I had no cards with me...

What I fear in such events is forgetting to live the moment, sometimes you are too busy with photography you forget to live the moment and enjoy it !!!

Yes...I think I struck a good balance between shooting and socializing.
Daughter and I had a good time and went to a nice restaurant afterwards.
Seems you enjoyed yourself quite well and had quality time with your daughter

.jpg   Red, White & Blue (low res).JPG (Size: 218.82 KB / Downloads: 4) [attachment=182

My findings confirm all the very positive reviews on this lens. It's very sharp, and well built.