Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon mirrorless system end of the month ???
(07-08-2018, 11:01 AM)Klaus Wrote: The thing is - Nikon Z is a different system than Nikon F. Nikon CX had nothing to do with F mount either.
Same goes for Canon EOS M vs EOS EF(-S).

Nikon Z will start with 2 cameras and 3 lenses - I wouldn't even call that a system. No ultra-wide options and no tele lenses at all.
I'm sure that Nikon Z will reach greatness ... in 3-5 years ... but not at launch.

Hence the imperative need for a fully functional adapter!

Hmmm....it will be probably usable only with electronic aperture lenses ......a significant drawback for Nikon ......can't see an aperture lever being fitted in an adapter.

Derr.....I've only got two G2 + the AF-P kit lens!

I didn't want a new Nikon ML anyway......ha ha!
Dave's clichés
The question is will the new Nikon ML have an aperture lever?
Dave's clichés
This kind of thinking is rather narrow minded, I'd say.

It will be enough if the adapter has one. It has to have an actuator for G-lenses. Maybe they will even offer two different adapters for their very old glass, but here I'd say "rest in peace and become part of history, go to the retired glass section or a museum". I don't expect Nikon to support each item from a 60 year old mount system. And don't come up with your dinosaur lenses which were oh so great at their time. History happens on a daily basis.

Hell, why are so much of us describing things and conclude stuff of not even published or official announced camera systems? Are there some stealthy mirrorless professors amongst us or whut? Why worry about things which are already done, just not released for public? Since you already decided not want to go mirrorless, why waste brain energy on this questions?

In my eyes, it's as ridiculous as Klaus' "I would not even call that a system" - what a joke! How many systems started that small and see where they are now? The market has changed, right, but you keep on ignoring that all Canon and Nikon glass will not dissolve itself in thin air. It all depends how smooth (and costly) the transition can go. All DSLRs of both companies, and all lenses and accessories will not stop working as soon as the new mirrorless models hit the shelves, get that in your head! If any of these companies would be braindead enough to think that DSLR users invest the full package just for being mirrorless now - than they deserve to go down with full sails. I somehow doubt that they are that kind of idiots.

The only real question to me is how soft and easy the companies have planned the era of that change.
(07-09-2018, 09:55 AM)davidmanze Wrote: The question is will the new Nikon ML have an aperture lever?

Don't think even Nikon is that stupid to use a mechanical aperture lever in 2018 in a new camera.

In any case, Nikon's FT1 adapter for Nikon 1 series had an aperture lever. Don't think they'll exclude that feature from their new system.
(07-09-2018, 10:35 AM)obican Wrote:
(07-09-2018, 09:55 AM)davidmanze Wrote: The question is will the new Nikon ML have an aperture lever?

Don't think even Nikon is that stupid to use a mechanical aperture lever in 2018 in a new camera.

In any case, Nikon's FT1 adapter for Nikon 1 series had an aperture lever. Don't think they'll exclude that feature from their new system.
  Think again obican!

Is it that stupid to have two aperture systems like pro-summer Nikon DSLRs do? (D500/D5/D850/D750 etc........... I think not, you can use both types of lenses!

These are the other choices!

1. Hope and plead that Nikon brings out an adapter which has a mechanism that converts E type bodies to suit mechanical F type ones......in order to use your G series lenses with perfect automations.

3. Cry when they don't and go through a series cheapo adapters that hardly work.

2. Pace up and down for five years waiting for Nikon to have something resembling a half decent ML lens range., whilst gazing at Sony's glass in the local camera shop window!

3. Thank the Lord that you stuck with your old D series lenses and buy a $15 Chinese dumb adapter and carry on shooting like nothing has happened as happy as a lamb.

4. Take up basket weaving!
Dave's clichés
Just make the new mirrorless mount completely electronic and build an adapter with an aperture lever. As they've done before, actually. But with a FF sensor this time.
(07-09-2018, 05:10 PM)obican Wrote: Just make the new mirrorless mount completely electronic and build an adapter with an aperture lever. As they've done before, actually. But with a FF sensor this time.

That would do fine......indeed!
Dave's clichés
I'm curious - what makes you think that a Nikon adapter solution is any better than a third-party adapter (on Sony)? Applied magic?
e.g. the native Canon EOS EF to EF-M adapter isn't any better than third-party adapters except maybe build quality.

Also - the Sony case provides a lesson. Initially they did the same - offering adapters for Alpha and EOS. Once lenses were available, they lost interest - obviously - because they want to sell new stuff. While third-party solutions may have been worse initially, they are now better than the original Sony ones - obviously - because third-party manufacturers want the business that Sony is no longer interested in.

Just as a reminder - the communication protocol between the camera and lens is rather primitive. The amount of potential optimization via the adapter is therefore limited.
The key question in this discussion is not the adapter - the key question is whether the AF-S drive can be aligned to the hybrid AF used on mirrorless cameras. If you switch your Nikon DSLR to live view mode (or however Nikon calls this), you may be able to answer that question to some degree (because the priority of the PD AF portion will decrease in low light whereas contrast AF is emphasized).
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
First and foremost: Sony didn't have as much lenses to support than Canon or Nikon. The old Minolta lenses? Which of these had an USM drive? The Sony A-mount lenses (same question)? EOS (again)? Why do you think, Nikon is making more and more lenses with electronically driven aperture? The ML project is not in the making since last week...

And why the heck are you worrying about what will happen with a Nikon mirrorless? Aren't you in the Canon department? And? What's going on there? Can we talk again about "complete systems" the day Canon lets their mirrorless tigers out of the cage?

I never tried the FT1 on a 1-series body with current lenses, but Studor13 appeared to be quite happy with. Let's face it: In 70% of all scenarios CDAF can do and is spot on in terms of sharpness. They already rumor the number of focus points (something over 400) which is not very close to Sony, but it's a start - and it's an even better coverage than any DSLR can deliver.

When I switch to LiveView, my DSLRs remain to be a DSLR with all the mirror ballet (except in silent shutter mode). It would be super stupid to make a better (=faster) LiveView AF than the PDAF of a DSLR - in a DLSR, that is. I find this attitude of talking an unreleased camera down to s**t pretty disgusting. You know well the long ways Fuji, Olympus and Sony had to go to get decently fast AF - but now they have it, even continuous AF which is much harder to design apparently. How long did it take Canon to bring out a high MP sensor and how slow is that one compared to a D850? Canon introduced some interesting sensors lately. It will be very interesting how much of their features they can bring to market.

And that a genuine adapter at least at the start of a new system is better than anything else, is as normal as the fact that third-party companies will evolve. I don't know why you're making such an issue out of that competition fact.

You judge and judge and judge about a lot of unknown specs. I'll wait until the baby is born.
Joju, I'm commenting on this because this thread is showing religious tendencies. :-) Motto: Things are going to be great because it's Nikon.

I will, of course, buy one of these cameras and test it - and I will enjoy them for what they are - without adapter that is. ;-)
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji