•  Previous
  • 14(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Nikon Z launched
Useless because of the striping?

The subject is not the issue (what is what makes it "useless" to you), it is the effect you get from the PD AF lines/masking.

How is this for "useless shot"?
https://www.dpreview.com/files/p/article...9.acr.jpeg
The striping is much more clear here, in the blue/dark background on both sides of the model.
Big Grin I might agree on that...
Is it possible to add attachments right to the body of the message or is there only the external linking possible? When I "choose file" and next click "Add attachment" and post the message, nothing is there.

(10-02-2018, 02:45 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Useless because of the striping?

The subject is not the issue (what is what makes it "useless" to you), it is the effect you get from the PD AF lines/masking.

The striping is much more clear here, in the blue/dark background on both sides of the model.

Well, something can be seen there but I wouldn' t call that serious. Certainly it is not worse than what does Canon 5D mark iv which you have never complained about ;-):  

https://martin-kornmesser.de/nikon-d750-...d-mark-iv/   - please see the "round 3 and 4" sections.
I don't know what you are comparing there. It seems that there has been a lot of shadow lifting? Is that what we are looking at there?
(10-02-2018, 06:09 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: I don't know what you are comparing there. It seems that there has been a lot of shadow lifting? Is that what we are looking at there?

Just banding in shadows... In both cases, I think will not be noticeable in praxis.
No, we are not seeing just banding in shadows. What did the guy actually change in lightroom? He says he has done certain things, but now what, exactly.

And the stripes occur with a lot of light without pulling shadows silly amounts (no pulling at all) too, which is the point. That one sensor "blotches" more than another when pulling shadows 5 stops, i could indeed care a bit less than striping patterns from PD AF masking.
(10-02-2018, 06:36 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: No, we are not seeing just banding in shadows. What did the guy actually change in lightroom? He says he has done certain things, but now what, exactly.

And the stripes occur with a lot of light without pulling shadows silly amounts (no pulling at all) too, which is the point. That one sensor "blotches" more than another when pulling shadows 5 stops, i could indeed care a bit less than striping patterns from PD AF masking.

Well, I consider both about equal quirks. Pulling shadows is quite common in post process and the banding is more pronounced here in Canon sensor thank PD AF masking in Nikon mirorless. I consider both a flaw, though, like I said.
I don't think that pulling shadows 4-6 stops is quite common.
(10-02-2018, 02:45 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Useless because of the striping?

My comment was not about the striping.
The lighting condition is so extreme in this shot that it is simply no use case in the real world.
Thus what is the point of concluding anything from this?

If you point a laser into your lens, you will surely have even more banding.

As mentioned, the sensor surface is far from being deep black thus freak effects will happen with ALL cameras.

Ever since digital cameras came up there were lots of discussions about banding.
Two months after the release nobody cares anymore because people will start taking real pictures.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
How ironic, Klaus. The only reason the striping became an issue (with Sony mirrorless cameras) was because people were taking real pictures and discovered the weird patterns.

•  Previous
  • 14(current)
  • Next