Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Canon EOS R system announced
EOS R system white paper:
https://downloads.canon.com/nw/camera/mi..._paper.pdf
The EOS R focuses at max. aperture ... understandable in low light but with sufficient light that is suboptimal with respect to RSAs.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(09-06-2018, 09:30 AM)Klaus Wrote: The EOS R focuses at max. aperture ... understandable in low light but with sufficient light that is suboptimal with respect to RSAs.
I hope Nikon will adapt their low light AF mode to the better Canon approach. Should not be that difficult to use open aperture if the sensor gets low light to focus.
(09-06-2018, 09:30 AM)Klaus Wrote: The EOS R focuses at max. aperture ... understandable in low light but with sufficient light that is suboptimal with respect to RSAs.

This data represent the current state of development.
Initial reviews shows that canon eos-r AF is sub-optimal - not in pair with sony.
Initial canon statement was - We are going to release mirrorless when we can deliver ML exereance similar to DSLR. 
At this stage canon and Nikon are behind sony and for sure not in pair with Canon/Nikon SLRs  It is marketing push instead of development pull

(09-05-2018, 06:59 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Oh yeah, and the 4K is cropped for the R (which means it would work great with my EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM Big Grin )
:-)
Yes you can drive your Ferrari in the city. Even more you can attach your KIA wheels to spare some cash. :-)

Now seriously

Same comments here. Canon is far behind the competition Panasonic GH 5, even the older GH 4 is beter choise, and it offer similar senoser size to Canon FF/video crop.
The old Sony 7s II is also great option.
Yes canon is making progration, they offer more than the crappy MJPG, but they are far away from the competition. Not to mention that 5 years old smartphone can take slow motion  1080p 120..180fps using H.265/H264 codec  
Yes they make progression - They discovered the articulated touchscreen. The entry level camcorders from 35 years ago had articulated flipped touchscreen. yes it was 35 years ago. well done canon
(09-06-2018, 09:47 AM)miro Wrote: ...Now seriously

Same comments here. Canon is far behind the competition Panasonic GH 5, even the older GH 4 is beter choise, and it offer similar senoser size to Canon FF/video crop....
...Now seriously, miro, the one far behind competiton, is a person who judges based on 2nd and 3rd hand informations with NO experience in ML at all, using his stone age DSLR and throws in sentences with not much of relevance. I'll leave it to Canon owners to reply but my impression is not that an expert contributes his opinion.
I wish Miro was making progration. Big Grin
As long as it's no procastination...
:|
(09-06-2018, 09:47 AM)miro Wrote:

This data represent the current state of development.
Initial reviews shows that canon eos-r AF is sub-optimal - not in pair with sony.
Initial canon statement was - We are going to release mirrorless when we can deliver ML exereance similar to DSLR. 
At this stage canon and Nikon are behind sony and for sure not in pair with Canon/Nikon SLRs  It is marketing push instead of development pull

(09-05-2018, 06:59 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Oh yeah, and the 4K is cropped for the R (which means it would work great with my EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM Big Grin )
:-)
Yes you can drive your Ferrari in the city. Even more you can attach your KIA wheels to spare some cash. :-)

Now seriously

Same comments here. Canon is far behind the competition Panasonic GH 5, even the older GH 4 is beter choise, and it offer similar senoser size to Canon FF/video crop.
The old Sony 7s II is also great option.
Yes canon is making progration, they offer more than the crappy MJPG, but they are far away from the competition. Not to mention that 5 years old smartphone can take slow motion  1080p 120..180fps using H.265/H264 codec  
Yes they make progression - They discovered the articulated touchscreen. The entry level camcorders from 35 years ago had articulated flipped touchscreen. yes it was 35 years ago. well done canon

From what I read it appears that in difficult circumstances (low contrast/low light) Video AF with Canon R is very good, Nikon isn't even close, and GH4/5 requires manual focusing. IOW, for vlogging of the 3 Canon appears best currently.

No idea how Sony performs in this regard, other than that Sony appears to be only rarely used for vlogging, comparatively speaking, based on sites I visit. No idea how it performs in real life, but then, personally I am not much interested in Sony cameras and lenses.

In the end it is about what one needs and wants, and so far for me Canon and Panasonic/Olympus have worked well for me Smile.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
In one thread the question "proportion of lens to body" came up. Nikon 58/0.95 is a brick, Fujinon 8-16/2.8 also, all Sigma lenses hide the Sony cameras they're attached to mostly.

But the photographer's proportions also come in play. A big upper arm with a buddha (?) tattoo helps to reduce size appearance of the Canon 28-70/2

(from DPReview's sample gallery with lots of naked skin)

Big Grin[Image: 5307633211.jpg]
May be a fine new Camera... on the back side it will have the same "user Problems" with the rocker Wheel as EOS M6 and M5... former. May be my fingers are not build for such a cam or my Hand is too large but it is tricky to hold this cam for Shooting without changing any Settings. And that´s really boring. My thumb will always find a way to attach this Wheel.
On a normal DSLR Body there is enough space and only a rotating Wheel.
I don´t know if Canon has manged to bring in a Switch to shut off this Wheel if you don´t want to Change Settings. Otherwise this expensive cam may have the same bad issues for some user as the former M-series have had.