Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Laowa 7.5mm f/2 is ...
... on da way to da lab.

Looking forward to that Smile.

The fastest glass I have currently at that FL is F/4 (the Panny 7-14) Smile, and I wasn't planning on getting the Oly F/2.8 zoom for this FL. A fast prime does soound attractive, however, although I would prefer somewhere around the 6mm mark Smile.

Kind regards, Wim

Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
One of those lenses that make one think "have the producers gone bananas now..." Smile Hopefully the quality is on the level, even though personally I'm expecting a less than thrilling sharpness curve at wide apertures...
Let's be practical, at 7.5mm you are not looking for shallow DOF, for me at least most important is sharpness throughout the frame, and how it handles flare and of course how it renders colors and maintains good contrast, most important at medium apertures.

Of course f2.0 is a welcome addition nonetheless.
F2.0 makes focusing a lot easier. And you may need it for dimly lit environments.

It is not so much about shallow DoF, as about having 2 stops more light when and if required.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Quote:F2.0 makes focusing a lot easier. And you may need it for dimly lit environments.

It is not so much about shallow DoF, as about having 2 stops more light when and if required.

Kind regards, Wim
Well that's what I meant by welcome addition, however I was avoiding another lengthy discussion about equivalence and I don't want to be the one who would open such a can of worms
Quote:Well that's what I meant by welcome addition, however I was avoiding another lengthy discussion about equivalence and I don't want to be the one who would open such a can of worms

You just did Wink. <ROFL>

Kind regards, Wim
Equivalence is not a can of worms, just a basic understanding op optics and physics  Wink

In equivalence terms, this lens is equivalent to a 7.5 x 2 = 15mm, 2 x 2 = f4 lens on FF 135 format, and equivalent to a 7.5 x 1.5 = 11mm, 2 x 1.5 = f3 lens on 1.5x crop APS-C format. 

Just a can of common sense  :lol:

Quote:Equivalence is not a can of worms, just a basic understanding op optics and physics Wink

In equivalence terms, this lens is equivalent to a 7.5 x 2 = 15mm, 2 x 2 = f4 lens on FF 135 format, and equivalent to a 7.5 x 1.5 = 11mm, 2 x 1.5 = f3 lens on 1.5x crop APS-C format.

Just a can of common sense :lol:

Sorry Wim, believe me that was not intentional.