Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Z50 & lenses annouced
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/mirrorless/z_50/
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/z-.../index.htm
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/z-.../index.htm

Not sure what to think of this. Why this instead of Fuji or Sony?

Anyway ...
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
What I find strange: Nikon chose to give the Z FF line no VR lenses, and rely on "image sensor shift" instead. Now I notice that the APS-C lenses have VR, and the camera lacks the "image sensor shift".

And the camera is not small, it is bigger than the biggest Canon EOS M (the EOS M5) model.
To paraphrase Klaus, why this instead of Canon? ;-P
I was surprised after seen the first rumors. It's a different decision than Canon's multi mounts, being the small APS-C ones with no sufficient lens choice and relying on adapters.

But it's only 1/4 of the price of a Z 7 which in DX-mode roughy has the same MP, same number of focuspoints. It's rather compact with this ridiculously slow 16-50 expandable cookie-lens (for pancake it's already too fat).

As most, if not all (design)decisions of the Z line are made more likely by clerks after investigating the most riskfree design solution and then cheapen the shit out of it, good for all potential buyers/users, but no excellent use for any of us (see the contribution to plastic waste called MB-N10 BATTERY PACK (therefore at least not mis-named "grip")) I'm very tempted to look elsewhere for a more modern camera. With better features, ergonomics, IQ - but I have to say, so far I can't see one Sad.

Sony needs being a bachelor of of arts for understanding weird UIs, but has the best AF - so it might be worth to take the trouble and learn complicated menus?
Canon needs tolerance for mediocre sensor design.
Panasonic could become a choice, after Sigma releases their L-mount line, and improving the AF-C
Fuji is nothing I like to use as much as the Z 7
Pentax still cheers about "innovations" that happened in other time bubbles five years ago and has nothing to offer in mirrorless
(10-10-2019, 06:09 AM)Klaus Wrote: Not sure what to think of this. Why this instead of Fuji or Sony?

Because "Nikon". Brand name sells, and they should have no problem competing with Sony APS-C E-mount cameras for the high volume consumer sales. They need to make and sell a lot of cameras and lenses to keep their workers working and their costs down, and it increases their market share, which is very important for investors. They simply couldn't afford to keep being behind Canon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic AND Fuji for mirrorless market shares.

So yeah, after the end of the Nikon One system, they had to make another crop-sensor mirrorless system to keep their place as the number 2 camera maker.

Also, they sell those for $1000 with a lens! Their profit margin must be very high, considering they sell brand new DSLR for half that!
To be fair - over at dpreview they state that the sensor is the same as the one used in the D500 - and it seems to be the best there is.
It's quite a looker, too. These kit lenses, however ...
Even worse - I can only spot one more DX lens in their roadmap. And that's till 2021.

Not sure whether we'll dive into this one (albeit I'm a bit curious).
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(10-10-2019, 06:09 AM)Klaus Wrote: Not sure what to think of this. Why this instead of Fuji or Sony?
Because it has Nikon written on it
(10-10-2019, 01:26 PM)Klaus Wrote: To be fair - over at dpreview they state that the sensor is the same as the one used in the D500 - and it seems to be the best there is.
Even worse - I can only spot one more DX lens in their roadmap. And that's till 2021.

Maybe Nikon knows something we don't? (Sigma just announced the 16mm, 30mm and 56mm f1.4 lenses for EOS M... ) 
So maybe they have decides to first focus on other lenses for FF, and let Sigma fill the void for now?

Although one would expect an UWA zoom for APS-C.
Just say no.
(10-10-2019, 01:26 PM)Klaus Wrote: To be fair - over at dpreview they state that the sensor is the same as the one used in the D500 - and it seems to be the best there is.

How many lenses an average DX-DSLR-buyer would buy? What they have at the moment is a coverage from 16-250 mm, slow apertures, but since Nikon only made one and not two new mirrorless mounts, all the other glass can be used. Chris said the sensor is the same as the D500's, which is an excellent one. For portraits the 50/1.8 is a not too expensive choice. I mean, as long as you shoot sunshine holiday pictures these two lenses available just might deliver.

Body and both lenses at this moment cost 1371 francs.-

I paid much more for the D7000 with a 17-50/2.8 from Sigma. And that was 9 years ago.

I don't think it's the D500's sensor ...... on sensor PDAF means exactly that ........ the D500's sensor doesn't have it.

The new mount is a bit ridiculous on the Z50 requiring large diameter lenses on a small camera ..... and frankly I don't see it getting a full range anytime soon.