Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imaging resource set to close
https://www.dpreview.com/news/9544609306...t-to-close

Seems after an initial bog boom, things are settling down...
I am sure though this will never happen to our website  Smile
A shame, they also have been a good source of reviews ....... nothing is sacred in this universe !!
Sad but I'm surprised that there are still so many gear sites around.

Looking at our numbers, I can't really believe that there are many sites left that are financially viable enough for supporting full-time employees (and thank god that we didn't go there back in the early 2010s when this appeared to be possible for us). The revenue is down 80+% from those peaks.

The only escape route seems to be youtube. The amount of crap there is astonishing but many people seem to love it. Entertainment always beats substance I guess. Even so, we'll not go there. If the ship is sinking, you should go down with grace at least. ;-)

Till then it's nice to have a hobby.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
I used to look at slrgear. The main imaging resource site was never attractive to me. Were these two actually independent once upon a time?
(10-12-2019, 08:09 AM)Klaus Wrote: Sad but I'm surprised that there are still so many gear sites around.

Looking at our numbers, I can't really believe that there are many sites left that are financially viable enough for supporting full-time employees (and thank god that we didn't go there back in the early 2010s when this appeared to be possible for us). The revenue is down 80+% from those peaks.

The only escape route seems to be youtube. The amount of crap there is astonishing but many people seem to love it. Entertainment always beats substance I guess. Even so, we'll not go there. If the ship is sinking, you should go down with grace at least. ;-)

Till then it's nice to have a hobby.

Yes, I agree, I do not understand this youtube stuff. Many times, a video is 90% self-promotion and drivel, with only bits and pieces of useful info. Not worth the time. I prefer a succinctly written text with some figures.
There is one youtube video - i forgot the name of the guy - that is actually really good - it is some shop - they did a lot on fuji and a bit on sony and canon - some really good comparison and reviews. Mind you they are an exception but not all the youtube video suck.... just most.
cameralabs does a good job on youtube. However, the format is just not aligned to lens reviews.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(10-12-2019, 10:29 AM)photonius Wrote: I used to look at slrgear. The main imaging resource site was never attractive to me. Were these two actually independent once upon a time?

Same here. After they subsumed SLRGear into the main site there were very, very few new lens reviews (proper ones, I mean, with their trademark inverted dome charts, and not just "field tests" with little data of substance). Guess I actually stopped reading back then but it's still a shame.
I also used to use Lens reviews at Imaging Resources, however they stopped coming, indeed. Interesting was that there was one review  added lately (Oly 12-200) and then stopped again. Latest announcement explains that.

There is nothing special about photo related stuff on youtube, really. I mean, quantity of stuff is immense yet there is good stuff to be found. Cameralabs I enjoy as well. Ex Camera Store guys are a good watch too.

Lately I started to listen to selected podcasts. It turns out I like them much more than I expected.
YouTube videos consume a lot of bandwidth so it's not an option on my mobile in Lebanon where we pay per megabyte, second they take a lot of time to read, third you have the sound, can't have sound at work or even at home... So YouTube reviews is 3 times no for me, I don't remember I listened once to a full YouTube review