Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony FE lenses on the Z7
(01-04-2020, 02:14 PM)mst Wrote: Yes, there are some really interesting lenses with M-mount from both brands. Personally, however, I don't find manual focus lenses on such a modern body too exciting. Plus, most of them have a fairly long MFD, since most rangefinders go down to 0.7m (0.5m on some Zeiss Ikons). And most of the wideangles show a very high amount of vignetting.

Still, I wish there were similarly impressive and compact lenses with AF. I loved the Heliar 15 III, the ZM 25/2.8, ZM 35/2.8, ZM 35/1.4, the Ultron 35/1.7 and I assume the new Nokton 75 will be awesome, too, but I haven't handled it.

Personally, though, I'm just getting rid of all M-mount gear (lenses and cameras).

Regarding the initial topic: thanks for the feedback. I did in the end not follow the idea and reading your feedback on the adapter now, I'm honestly glad I didn't

I will personally focus more on my Nikon gear (with mirror) again.

Oh-ho-ho, no, Sir. I'm not talking Zeiss Batis & Loxia and Voigtländer APO 50/65/110 or 21/1.4.
Sorry, no.

Using the system has been fun and the very basic feature set of the Leica cameras (or actually lack of any feature that is not essential) definitely helped me to improve my photographic skills a little. That is especially true for the M Monochrom that I used over the last year.

On the other hand, even after years the keeper rate was considerably lower than with any modern camera I used. Sure, it's way more rewarding once you nail a shot with a Leica M, but on the other hand, it's easily very frustrating when you don't... and at least in my case that happened more often than rewards Wink

Regarding the reviews: years ago I wanted to continue with them. However, even for the few that were published, I received some of the most bizarre feedback. I'm used to getting harsh feedback and occasionally even personal attacks from people that are definitely beyond of what can be call 'brand loyal'. What's occasionally going on in the Leica community however, can almost be called 'brand fascism' instead.

It was fun playing with the idea of butchering a sacred cow, namely the often so praised and often claimed unmatched quality of Leica glass. My personal experience has been different though: there was not a single peace of Leica glass where I did not find a 3rd party replacement that gave (to me) more pleasing results, usually at a fraction of the cost.

The level of pure hate and agression that I got in response to those few reviews however made me reconsider.

(01-06-2020, 06:37 PM)faint Wrote: Oh-ho-ho, no, Sir. I'm not talking Zeiss Batis & Loxia and Voigtländer APO 50/65/110 or 21/1.4.

Me neither Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

Oy vey... That certainly is unexpected, and a reason I would've never guessed.
My bad. I typed it totally wrong...

I wanted to say that I'm interested in these specific lenses! I don't have the need, but definitely feel the urge to get myself a FF camera, a digital one indeed. And I have been drooling about the Zeiss/Voigtlaender lenses for quite some time. Now I can get them on a better body than A7

Sorry that you had some negative experience with Leica. I don't have the money to acquire any experience with it at all, so I can only feel your agony.
.. to be fair i have to add the followng facts, even when this thread is almost finished...

The problem in my case was the pinpoint-AF, which i normally use on the Z7. Here the hit and miss quote is - after the firmware upgrade - around 90-95%. So, this mode is not usable for me. I tested it by activating AF and then checking the results by zooming in (i put this function on a fn-button).

The other modes (AF-single .. and even face detection / eye tracking) work quite well, but - expectedly - a noticeable bit slower than with original lenses.

Kind regards
(01-08-2020, 04:03 PM)cazul Wrote: .. to be fair i have to add the followng facts, even when this thread is almost finished...

The problem in my case was the pinpoint-AF, which i normally use on the Z7. Here the hit and miss quote is - after the firmware upgrade - around 90-95%. So, this mode is not usable for me. I tested it by activating AF and then checking the results by zooming in (i put this function on a fn-button).

The other modes (AF-single .. and even face detection / eye tracking) work quite well, but - expectedly - a noticeable bit slower than with original lenses.

Kind regards

So, manual focus not impacted anyway?
(01-08-2020, 04:03 PM)cazul Wrote: .. to be fair i have to add the followng facts, even when this thread is almost finished...

Kind regards

its in fact impacted, as i wrote in my first post. 

Kind regards