Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon Z roadmap
(02-14-2020, 07:21 AM)faint Wrote: I believe we are already deep into off-topic territory, but I'll give it a last chance.

While I was sharing your thoughts exactly just until couple of weeks ago, Brightcolours (you can see it my previous posts), I came to realize that a camera is not just a sensor. In fact, this is why I have been shooting Fujifilm for so much time - great ergonomics, but nothing revolutionary on IQ department. I thought that no other system may provide a more balanced system, yet - when I spent reading and comparing stuff for months, it turned out that the Z is miles ahead, if you can accept just slightly heavier system.

And this is what is the crucial thing to understand - if you are not a consumer, buying low-tier camera body with a kit lens, the overall system matters, and that includes everything - lenses, accessories, future development, image quality, costs, balance - everything. Yes, the Canon might be good, but the sensor is too densely packed for most of the lenses, which are just too few and possibly Canon will give up on M anyway. Same for DSLR cameras from Canon and Nikon with APS-C. Sony is not great at ergonomics. Fuji offers XTrans and limits their lenses to keep them compact. I don't even want to mention Pentax and Leica, although they deserve more attention.

The bottom line is - even if APS-C is good enough, there are no systems that are designed without the size constraint, and even if you go for FF  lenses on APS-C, there should be a deliberate choice - you get better reach and possibly more even sharpness, but resolving power will be constrained, and noise/DR will be worse.

No free lunch!

I wish we still had the like button !!
Wink 
(02-14-2020, 07:40 AM)davidmanze Wrote:   I wish we still had the like button !!

You always can up or down a reputation... and even comment, why.  Wink That is on the left side, underneath the avatar, written in dark blue on darkblue background...

Back to the topic: At first I didn't pay attention to that 24-200 travel zoom, but since it's officially released - ok I still can breath, and it's no mind-blowing roadmap. But on the other side I know I can trust the weather sealing, the lenses are not small but lightweight, the design still is too easy to get them confused and they are priced higher than the build, design and feature quality suggests.

Yes, Nikon messed up big time with the rather poor specs (compared to the competition) of the D6, but who knows: some photogs might just have waited for all the interfaces it comes with. I just don't have the highest respect for Nikon's app to remote control their cameras.
(02-14-2020, 07:40 AM)davidmanze Wrote:  I wish we still had the like button !!

There's a thumbs up button on the left below each post.

(02-14-2020, 07:57 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: You always can up or down a reputation... and even comment, why.  Wink That is on the left side, underneath the avatar, written in dark blue on darkblue background...

Now I'm curious: it should be a blue/white icon on blue background... do you see something different?

(02-14-2020, 07:57 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: Yes, Nikon messed up big time with the rather poor specs (compared to the competition) of the D6, but who knows: some photogs might just have waited for all the interfaces it comes with. I just don't have the highest respect for Nikon's app to remote control their cameras.

I still disagree with that opinion. The D6 is not a mass market tool, it is designed for a niche market where it basically has only one competitor, the Canon 1D X III. Yes, the Canon has slightly better specs, but I'm not sure if that alone is reason enough to call the D6 specs 'poor'. In fact, the D5 has already been a really impressive camera. The D6 is a fairly moderate update, agreed, while so far we don't know much about the part that has presumably been changed or upgraded the most: its AF.

I agree to what you write about their app, it's actually true for practically any software they offer: it mostly sucks. On the other hand, those who use cameras of that caliber usually do not use an app to trigger remotely.

Good post, faint, fully agree to most of it. Just two comments, though:

(02-14-2020, 07:21 AM)faint Wrote: Fuji offers XTrans and limits their lenses to keep them compact.

That might be true for the 'Fujicrons', while personally I don't find them limited in any way. If you want more speed, there a faster and bigger, in fact mostly anything but compact options available. Most of them are not more compact or lighter than FF equivalents of other brands.

(02-14-2020, 07:21 AM)faint Wrote: I don't even want to mention Pentax and Leica, although they deserve more attention.

Well, Leica... I don't think they need more attention. They serve a very special market niche, or several to be precise. A big part of their business success is their reputation, I'm tempted to say mostly reputation from the past, and lack of competition in some of the markets they serve. They definitely have the most conservative clients and they treat them and their expectations well.

Personally, I find most of what they produce, way overpriced and lacking in both features and performance. That is especially true for their lenses, where I personally fail to see the 'magic' that others praise. They do have some really good lenses, for sure, but I haven't handled a single Leica lens so far that has been flawless and in my eyes justifies the prices you have to pay (no matter if you're buying new or used).
Editor
opticallimits.com

[Image: i-9n7RVSg-M.png]

Not here, but I couldn't find a button to change the skin.

And it's not that EOS 1D X III only has slightly better specs - 20 instead 10.5 frames in silent shooting is not "slightly". Sure, it is no mass market, but it also is not worth to go a full digit while the improvements not even include a newer sensor.

Quote:I agree to what you write about their app, it's actually true for practically any software they offer: it mostly sucks. On the other hand, those who use cameras of that caliber usually do not use an app to trigger remotely.

You mean they use selfie stick triggers to activate bluetooth...  Big Grin Actually I think most of the connectivity is to transport the files asap to the photo editors of the newspapers.

Newspaper. DSLR. Museum?
(02-14-2020, 10:43 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: Not here, but I couldn't find a button to change the skin.

I see. You can change the options here:

https://forum.opticallimits.com/usercp.p...on=options

There are other skins, but I don't think we ever took care of them, so it's probably safe to stick with the default skin. However, it seems you have "Display posts in classic mode" checked. I haven't, that's why it looks slightly different and a bit more compact here. I honestly don't know which mode is the default.

In any case, there should be a list of buttons below the post, including one to rate the post up.

.png   Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-14 um 12.01.39.png (Size: 26.07 KB / Downloads: 9)

(02-14-2020, 10:43 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: And it's not that EOS 1D X III only has slightly better specs - 20 instead 10.5 frames in silent shooting is not "slightly". Sure, it is no mass market, but it also is not worth to go a full digit while the improvements not even include a newer sensor.

Well, that is just one spec of many more and in my eyes not one to make the camera look underwhelming. I agree though that this is more a D5s than a D6. We don't know yet if it's a new sensor or not.

(02-14-2020, 10:43 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: You mean they use selfie stick triggers to activate bluetooth...  Big Grin Actually I think most of the connectivity is to transport the files asap to the photo editors of the newspapers.

Not selfie stick trigger, but something similar, yes. WR-1 and WR-R10, for example, or WT-6. And yes, lots of cameras at big sports events for example are in remote locations and remote triggered and permanently connected to have the images uploaded immediately.

(02-14-2020, 10:43 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: Newspaper. DSLR. Museum?

I'd still call it a newspaper, even if it's not printed on actual paper anymore. Definitely not something I see as obsolete nowadays. Far from it, actually more needed than ever.
Editor
opticallimits.com

This morning I updated the Z bodies with firmware 3.00. Animal eye-detect and better usability with AF tracking are added, also support of CFE cards.

Very neat: the fn-buttons on the lens can also be assigned to AF-tracking. This works as well with the Sigma 70-200/2.8 Sports (well done, Sigma!).