Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preview: Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G
While we're at it: I will also publish retests of matching F-mount lenses in parallel. In fact, I will probably publish the F-mount review first... gives a better idea of the slight improvements Nikon managed to achieve with the new mount and lenses Wink

Anyway, sample images of the AF-S 50/1.8, shot with the D850:

https://photozone.smugmug.com/Reviews/Ni...0mm-f18-G/
Editor
opticallimits.com

(04-21-2021, 09:22 AM)mst Wrote: While we're at it:   
I will also publish retests of matching F-mount lenses in parallel. In fact, I will probably publish the F-mount review first... gives a better idea of the slight improvements Nikon managed to achieve with the new mount and lenses Wink

Anyway, sample images of the AF-S 50/1.8, shot with the D850:

https://photozone.smugmug.com/Reviews/Ni...0mm-f18-G/

I don't understand the "smugmug" site ........ from these links I cannot magnify the image without just getting pixelated mush ...... what am I missing??
Hm, not sure... works fine over here. Are you on a fast connection? Smugmug downloads the higher resolution variant in the background after you clicked on an image. So, after a while (a very short while on a fast connection) yo should see the image in full detail.

If that doesn't work for you, you can also download all the images in full resolution. If you hover over an image with the mouse, there's a tiniy download icon in the bottom right of any image.
Editor
opticallimits.com

(04-22-2021, 08:40 AM)mst Wrote: Hm, not sure... works fine over here. Are you on a fast connection? Smugmug downloads the higher resolution variant in the background after you clicked on an image. So, after a while (a very short while on a fast connection) yo should see the image in full detail.

If that doesn't work for you, you can also download all the images in full resolution. If you hover over an image with the mouse, there's a tiny download icon in the bottom right of any image.

I have internet at a reasonable speed ........ 8-9 Mbs

No, I get none of that ....... not sure if you have to be logged in or what .... and nothing appears hovering over an image .... it's always been a problem with "smugmug" for me ....

........... but then as I have the AF-S 50mm F1.8G lens anyway, it's of little consequence ........ I'll look at my own copy !! .......... Smile
(04-22-2021, 12:00 PM)davidmanze Wrote:
(04-22-2021, 08:40 AM)mst Wrote: Hm, not sure... works fine over here. Are you on a fast connection? Smugmug downloads the higher resolution variant in the background after you clicked on an image. So, after a while (a very short while on a fast connection) yo should see the image in full detail.

If that doesn't work for you, you can also download all the images in full resolution. If you hover over an image with the mouse, there's a tiny download icon in the bottom right of any image.

No, I get none of that ....... not sure if you have to be logged in or what .... and nothing appears hovering over an image .... it's always been a problem with "smugmug" for me ....

........... but then as I have the AF-S 50mm F1.8G lens anyway, it's of little consequence ........ I'll look at my own copy !! .......... Smile

Interesting concept of reasonable speed.
These days, I wouldn't consider anything less than, say, 200 Mbps, reasonable Smile.

Have you actually tried clicking on the first image, and then moving through the images?

If that doesn''t work for you, I really wonder what OS and browser you are using. Even at the slow speeds you are connecing with, it should work, be it a bit slower.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
(04-22-2021, 12:00 PM)davidmanze Wrote:

In average we can say that an image in the gallery is about ~10MB (1MB = 8Mb).
Including packet overhead, at 8-9Mbs it would easily take 10+ sec. to download the full size image to your computer.
So... sluggish indeed.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Actually, the smallest files in that gallery are around 10 MB, some as large as 44 MB. So, yes, downloading them will take quite a while at that speed.

However, the download icon should already appear when you hover the mouse pointer over one of the thumbnails in the gallery.
Editor
opticallimits.com

(04-22-2021, 03:55 PM)mst Wrote: Actually, the smallest files in that gallery are around 10 MB, some as large as 44 MB. So, yes, downloading them will take quite a while at that speed.

However, the download icon should already appear when you hover the mouse pointer over one of the thumbnails in the gallery.

No icon(s) appear(s) when the mouse pointer is over an image in the "gallery". Not in Chrome, not in Safari.
(04-22-2021, 04:22 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: No icon(s) appear(s) when the mouse pointer is over an image in the "gallery". Not in Chrome, not in Safari.

Oh, ok... my bad, sorry. I just tried, those icons obviously only appear when logged into a smugmug account. I just logged out and now they're gone here, too. Sorry for the confusion.
Editor
opticallimits.com

(04-22-2021, 04:22 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(04-22-2021, 03:55 PM)mst Wrote: Actually, the smallest files in that gallery are around 10 MB, some as large as 44 MB. So, yes, downloading them will take quite a while at that speed.

No icon(s) appear(s) when the mouse pointer is over an image in the "gallery". Not in Chrome, not in Safari.

Are you able to open any of those images magnified BC ......?? I'm using Opera!

........ using "Speed test" I just clocked 9.5 MBPS ........ with about a 1Mb download speed when downloading ......
 ..... maybe not city "fiber-optic speed" but enough to run 4k utube usually .......

.......... please take into account I'm out of town in a boat moored on a riverbank !......