Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD
If Tamron know how to make a very good 15-30mm f2.8 FX why don't they make a 15-50f2.8 DX that good ? I am sure it will be a hit lens.

Quote:If Tamron know how to make a very good 15-30mm f2.8 FX why don't they make a 15-50f2.8 DX that good ? I am sure it will be a hit lens.
I think they're going to update their 17-50 crop lens sometime soon, because it's mechanically outdated yet (still) very popular. Remember they did update the 90/2.8 VC and 150-600 even though these were already modern. Whether they are going to alter the parameters of the 17-50 (like going for a wider focal length) is anybody's guess though...

Quote:I think they're going to update their 17-50 crop lens sometime soon, because it's mechanically outdated yet (still) very popular. Remember they did update the 90/2.8 VC and 150-600 even though these were already modern. Whether they are going to alter the parameters of the 17-50 (like going for a wider focal length) is anybody's guess though...
True, but I have to add that the 150-600mm got a new optical design, and the 90mm macro just got a facelift.

I am sure a replacement of the 17-50mm will get new, better optics.
Thanks for the review. Looks like an excellent lens all around, but I've seen the thing in real life, and I somehow can't get myself to like the idea of hauling that beast up mountains when the pack contains all sorts of camping stuff and food already (read: very heavy)...

I can see a 2 lens solution making sense. This excellent Tamron 15-30mm f2.8 for when you need ultra ultra wide (or a top quality UWA zoom), and then a light lens for when the weight is a real issue. I have the Voigtlander 20mm for the weight issue thing. Oh, and the EOS M + EF-S 10-18mm IS STM.

But that is semi-distant future talk, I can't afford getting FF UWA zoom now anyway. The Tamron would be a contender, but also the Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8 L IS USM II. The Canon 11-24mm f4 is too expensive to ever consider, I think.
Quote:True, but I have to add that the 150-600mm got a new optical design, and the 90mm macro just got a facelift.

I am sure a replacement of the 17-50mm will get new, better optics.
Yeah, so it's a 50/50 chance - dare I say the only certain thing is that nothing's certain? Smile But I'm also wondering if they're going to release some other UWA zooms alongside this 15-30, which will probably remain their Crown Lens in this segment? Actually, scratch that - we can be sure they will release something, we just can't be sure what and when. Big Grin I'd wager there's going to be a radical UWA along the lines of the Sigma 12-24 (though I'd rather see a prime in the 12mm vicinity) and a more moderate lens to replace the 17-35/2.8-4 (which I think is still a current lens - any chance for a review???) - smaller aperture (maybe straight f/4), 77~82mm filter thread, longer range...

I guess we can just about count on the APS-C 10-24mm lens being replaced soon...
I have Tokina 16-28 on 5D and 10-18 on 750D and for obvious reasons the I prefer 10-18 on crop camera.

At wide angle depth of field is most welcome and you don't want to do weightlifting.

A logical approach though is a lens like Tokina 10-20 from 10 to 16mm is suffers from hefty vignetting ,it works nicely on full frame as a 16-20f2.8.
I don't think they're going to abandon one format completely, though the FF UWA segment has not been very exciting up until recently as far as the independent non-stoneage makers are concerned. Sigma and Tamron only have one contemporary offering each, and even Tokina - Tokina fergrifessake! - had more... I hope to see that changed sometime soon.