Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon announced ..
Toni-A, both companies sold more than 100 million lenses. Each of them. This makes decisions more difficult. Also, the Nikon mount doesn't allow lenses faster than f/1.4 if the electrical contacts have to remain in place. Nikon would be stupid to stick with this mount and sell empty space (not more needed for a mirror). But if a new lens mount is inevitable, each other paradigm can also be questioned as it's a decision for the future.

And becoming compact but also FF or bigger doesn't necessarily belong together. It still has to remain operatable. Fiddly buttons are no goal and lengthy menus are not professional either. So, a certain surface is needed. I see the Sigma SD quattro as well designed although not compact-  but the buttons are well placed. I understand that for Sigma it would be hard to leave the people which invested in the exotic Sigma mount buy another set of slightly more compact lenses. Slightly, because they already try to increase the sensor size (APS-H). And if they try to approach FF size, it would b better not to start with smaller lenses in even smaller quantities, but stick to Sigma mount and allow other Sigma lens owners a mount change. That is still cheaper than selling old and buying new.

I was wondering whether e.g. Canon's decision to introduce STM was meant as a preparation for a mirrorless camera. Same goes for Nikon's new AF-P.  STM/AF-P is optimized for movies and, honestly, DSLRs are the most stupid thing ever for movies - the mirror box is nothing short of alien in this world. Anyway, using adapters with STM/AF-P lenses should work like a breeze on a (true) mirrorless camera.

Even CaNikon will struggle to deliver the system baseline (in terms of lenses) in no time so initially they will try to advertise adapter solutions (just like Sony did in the beginning).
Nikon rumors (!) doesn't have anything better to do than to tell there's still possible to buy a D300s brandnew

Rolleyes Exciting. I take half a dozen.

Didn't know Nikon became dealer of antique cameras  :lol: but then, it's understandable, after cooking the same soup over and over they can do it while asleep. Sweet dreams, Nikon.

You're cranky today, Joachim. :blink: But then again, are you ready to bail and switch to another system?  Wink

I'm only cranky within my range of "normal condition"  :ph34r:

Well, on one side there are the yummy new Sigma lenses which could replace the 2 of the last 3 Nikkors.

:blink: Really?

*countingagain*

Really. The others are already Sigma.

Investing another 2.500 in DSLR... or take that money, sell the Nikon stuff and go GFX 50?

It's not a totally other system, I'm already used to Fuji's menus and handling. Also, a tilt-shift lens for this one is not that much more expensive than one for CaNikon - I had also the option to look for a tilt-shift adapter... well, but these are very wild dreams, photokina infected stuff.

When we rethink at it, drone photography is getting more and more popular, action cameras have a very big market, with Nikon brand on them, they will be very competitive. They found a niche where none of the big names in photography is interested. Not bad at all as a move.

However having no new photography equipment at photokina isn't what we expect from a maker like Nikon
I really don't understand all the people who keep saying Nikon came to Photokina with nothing.

The biggest event this year was the Olympics. For this Nikon had not one but two pro cameras ready.

If you add the 105mm f1.4 and the 300mm f4E (and maybe even the 200-500mm), Nikon brought to Photokina some very serious gear for everyone to have a close look at.

OK, something really went wrong with the DL cameras but please stop saying Nikon has nothing to show in 2016.
I agree, Canon and Nikon showed their big action cams earlier in the year, obviously not waiting for Photokina in fall. So, Nikon did not wait with the 105mm f1.4 till photokina. Big deal.

Quote:I really don't understand all the people who keep saying Nikon came to Photokina with nothing.

The biggest event this year was the Olympics. For this Nikon had not one but two pro cameras ready.

If you add the 105mm f1.4 and the 300mm f4E (and maybe even the 200-500mm), Nikon brought to Photokina some very serious gear for everyone to have a close look at.

OK, something really went wrong with the DL cameras but please stop saying Nikon has nothing to show in 2016.
Canon also had a very good camera ready for the olympics. Pentax came up with a K1 which has very unique features you will not find in a Nikon. Also, the D500 was like 2 years late. A couple of websites see the crown of AF speed already taken away by the X-T2 which I doubt a bit - from a certain amount of "blown away / ...out of the water / ...outperformed" on I get rather sceptical. The fact is just, the X-T2 goes up to 14 fps (although supersilent), has a pretty precise AF and a decent WiFi at significant lower costs (just put a D500 with all the stuff I got with the Fuji in a basket - 800.- more, but not even a little flashgun included). Not enough lenses for sports/bird photogs, yes.

300/4 E PF? Please... I got mine in february 2015, so if you want to bring up new stuff then there are 500/4 and 600/4, the new 24-70 and two doublettes 18-55 and 70-300 - nothing to write home about. Plus the 200-500 which is already degraded again by Tamron's 150-600 MkII at a very competitive price.

Action cameras? How many years after GoPro are they trying to bite a piece of the cake? It's the same like the System 1, neat, performing as well, just somehow's not enough. 

Also, a China made 105/1.4 is simply overpriced at 2.2 k$

No, Andrew, that is nothing for what I would travel to Cologne. I was thinking today of going for Saturday, but then the fair is packed with people like me who want to touch the goodies and there are not enough for all... so, sanity wins. But I was close to it because of Sigma (what about a decent RAW-converter, guys?) and Fuji (will there be some firmware changes soon, I had some ideas...).

But Nikon? I saw the 105/1.4 already, a brick of plastic and glass, so what? I would not even approach their booth.

Quote: 

But Nikon? I saw the 105/1.4 already, a brick of plastic and glass, so what? I would not even approach their booth.

I did hear that Nikon has a lot of pretty girls waving and smiling at their booths. 

Surely, that is the only reason to go to Photokina.

Gear, I can check out on the net but for hübsche Mädchen that's only good in the flesh, right?

Jokes aside, I still think that if it weren't an Olympic's year and Nikon came to Photokina with the D5/D500/105 1.4/500/4/600/4 and the new 24-70 you would not be so critical.

I see no difference between announcing these products earlier this year or in September. The difference, however, is that AFAIK they are all available today.