Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leica 100-400 resolution (lenstip)
My 2Cents.  I like to hike local trails in Pennsylvania and ride a bike along the NJ shore and combine both with photography.  So, for me, weight and size of the gear are critical.  I had a Canon 5Dmk2 and a Canon 100-400mm L series but it was just too much to carry as I got older.  I currently have two M43 cameras (Pana GX8 and Oly EM1) and my preferred carry tele lens is the Panasonic 100-400mm lens.  The first Pana 100-400 had to be returned because it was not sharp.  The second one is crystal clear and pinpoint sharp.  I mainly shoot birds stationary and in flight and have no problems with the AF-C, speed or accuracy of the Pana 100-400 on the GX8.  It is IMHO, every bit as good as was my Canon 5Dmk2 and the Canon 100-400 lens but it far less weight to carry.  To put this in context I also have a Nikon D810 and several lenses that I use for landscape photography, but it is a load to carry around, and works best when I am driving in the car.  However, must admit, I do love those big sharp image files that it generates.  So to return to my main point, M43 equipment is perfect for someone my age who likes to walk and ride a bike because it is all about size and weight traded against image file size.

Experts,

Can you explain to me the DOF characteristics of this lens vs a vis Canon 100-400 ii ?

Both are similar lenses, being 100-400mm in full frane terms, so the DOF and background blur should be similar?
You want to compare DOF of 400mm with DOF of 800mm (equivalent)? What use does that have for you, exactly?

Quote:Experts,

Can you explain to me the DOF characteristics of this lens vs a vis Canon 100-400 ii ?

Both are similar lenses, being 100-400mm in full frane terms, so the DOF and background blur should be similar?

In terms of field of view and aperture, the Panansonic 100-400 f4-6.3 on MFT is equivalent to a 200-800 f8-12.6 lens on a full frame system (which of course doesn't exist).
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Thanks
@klaus, will you review this lens?