Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympus M.Zuiko ED 300mm f/4 IS PRO announced
http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/lenses/p...s-pro.html

Dual IS (with the E-M1 and E-M5 II) ... just like the Leica (with the GX8).

6(!) f-stop efficiency.

Thread title says f/2.8... <_<

But the price looks like a f/2.8  Big Grin

Yes, I'd also say that it is at least 500$ too expensive.

Hmmh, looking at the samples over at dpreview I'd say that this lens is exceedingly sharp but the bokeh is just soso (e.g. the hippo shot).

Quote:Hmmh, looking at the samples over at dpreview I'd say that this lens is exceedingly sharp but the bokeh is just soso (e.g. the hippo shot).
 I see what you mean there Klaus, everything seems to be turned into round nervous spheres.....

............in this case soso = So no thanks!
I keep in mind, the Zuiko PRO lenses are truly weather-sealed. Plus the production quantities will not reach high numbers. The demonstration video of IS is just wow. The combination of body + lens shake reduction will need more than a normal CPU unit. With that combination one can go and leave the tripod at home.

It's a shame this lens will easily outresolve every sensor on the market, not to speak of Olympus' own ones. 

As for the bokeh, I also agree, Price of sharpness, I assume?

Quote: 

It's a shame this lens will easily outresolve every sensor on the market, not to speak of Olympus' own ones. 
The lens won't "outresolve" the current and future MFT sensors, simply because it is an f4 lens (f8 in FF 135 format terms). At f4 diffraction is already a limiting factor enough to "prevent" any lens to outresolve these sensors.
SLR Gear reviewed it:

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=1840

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Quote:As for the bokeh, I also agree, Price of sharpness, I assume?
I don´t think so. I have seen similar bokeh characteristics using the M.Zuiko 60mm f/2.8 Macro lens, which is definitely not that sharp.