•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally: D500 announced (and D5 really official)
Quote:Nice feature: AF micro adjustment automatically with LiveView, just what I wished. Two years ago or so... ISO up to 1.640.000 and a huge covering of focus points. 200 raw shows at 10 f/s, tiltable touchscreen, nice. Bird shooters will order their copy soon. Sports photographers as well.

Only two years too late...
Yep, away too late... I wanted to replace my d200 with d400, but it never came out. I guess Nikon released d400 internally only.😁
Too late?

You have either not upgraded or have been using something else for the past 10 years since the D200.

This is possibly the biggest moment in Nikon's digital history.

They can truly claim to have the best full frame AND crop cameras simultaneously.

If only they would give us (me) the auto AF Fine Tune as a software upgrade for my D800 and D600, I would be a loyal fan forever!
Quote:Is there an image of the AF point spread? Found it, http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/microsit...digest.pdf

Impressive horizontal coverage, lacking vertical. Sounds a bit counter-intuitive to me if you think about it from an image circle view. Something to do with the rectangular mirror box area cropping the top and bottom?
Something to do with the possible sub mirror size.
 Here is Nikon's "stance" on mirror-less today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEBdPj3cHec

To me that says that Nikon have decided "not" to take on the serious mirror-less market and just leave their NI system to run along side as a token gesture. 

Those wanting ML will have to choose Fuji/Sony/Leica/Panasonic etc. 

Here's Ken Rockwell's take and specs. on the D5:

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5.htm

I can't find this LV calibration PDAF feature any one got a link?

Quote:Too late?

You have either not upgraded or have been using something else for the past 10 years since the D200.

This is possibly the biggest moment in Nikon's digital history.

They can truly claim to have the best full frame AND crop cameras simultaneously.

If only they would give us (me) the auto AF Fine Tune as a software upgrade for my D800 and D600, I would be a loyal fan forever!

There were also a couple of biggest moments in saurus-history or in aztec-history before they went to extinction.

I find the D500 really an outstanding machine, but buying?

When there's also a FF mirrorless around for less than 2k $. The AF adjustment feature is a first. But what I saw with the last introductions of FF bodies: there were always some itches to be fixed after the camera was produced. That's not cost effective and at some point I as consumer has to pay it. I'm tired of financing Nikon's crappy quality management. Before I believe it works, I want to read tests and I also want to read "yes, it works no matter from which manufacturer your lens is made". Wink

In  any case, I would wait at least another 3 months after sales start to check if they managed a better quality. Sales starts in March - so, for me no buy before June. And within the next 6 months we will see more models appearing and I bet, some of them may not have AF adjustments by LiveView, but their LiveView will be nearly as fast and more precise, also more versatile. That's what I meant with "too late". They put in all the good stuff Nikon users were missing for nearly half a decade.

Quote:There were also a couple of biggest moments in saurus-history or in aztec-history before they went to extinction.

If Nikon were to go extinct it would not be because they don't have a FF mirrorless today.

Remember how many years Nikon were behind Canon with the D3? And now, who has the best FF camera? Not to mention the best crop camera.

I actually don't think that there will be an EVF that can "see" as well as that through the OVF within the next 5 years. Well, at least the OVF experience is much better in my opinion regardless of how good they are or will become.

And you know, very well, that regardless of how late Nikon is, people (you) will continue to buy Nikon gear.

We don't really need new gear every couple of years. We just want something new, right?
That bit about extinction I was referring too, was related to "high cultures can walk into oblivion, too".

I want something new, if the "old" is broken, or I can do fresh ideas the new thing, or the new is much better in general. I'd say, the predecessor D300(s) actually is outdated for quite a while.

In aspects of OVF vs EVF, I guess we will soon see Leica's 4K OLED as a standard. The advantage of OVF will decrease and the advantages of EVF (better view in darkness, versatile focus aid for manual focusing, colour and exposure preview) are already available. Of course, battery conusmption is an issue and the number of shots with one battery will get smaller.

I'm not sure if I will stay with Nikon. The need to catch up. And not in five years...

I agree with Studor13 that an OVF has qualities for photography that can't be mimicked by LCD screens. It is not a resolution thing.

Well, both OVF and EVF have their advantages and disadvantages. But EVFs have come a long way and the latest generations (as in Sony's A7 series and the Leica SL) need to be experienced, really.

Personally, I also still prefer an OVF, but sometimes wish I could have both an just switch to what's more appropriate. Like in an X-Pro.

Anyway, about the D500: very likely my new DX baby Wink And finally a camera that has the potential to replace the good ol' D3x as my every-day camera. Yes, I'm seriously considering to go from FX to DX...

Just two things I don't like about the D500: resolution. I wish it was 24 MP, so it could double as DX test camera Wink And that XQD slot really was unnecessary, Nikon. Two SD-slots would have done the job, too.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

The XQD-slot allows this 200 shots they are claiming, I think. Anyway, this could be said as well to the CF/SD combination in D8x0. Just because Pro's have large boxes full of CF cards, and now they wnat to show how Pro this camera is meant to be. I agree, two SD cards and the guys needing a 20 second burst at 10 fps shoud consider getting a highspeed movie cam. 

•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next