•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally: D500 announced (and D5 really official)
Just being jaunty  :lol:

Seriously I was asking myself the same question - why this mirror ballet, if I'm already using LV? I thought, the explanation was "exposure metering doesn't happen in LV" but the longer I think about, the bigger the "hell, WHY?"

Quote:There is something that I just don't get. If you are shooting continuous mode in LV (and the mirror is up) why does the mirror keep going up and down.

If the mirror stays locked up, wouldn't you get a much higher fps?

https://youtu.be/Y66MurtGgFw
That was not shooting with LV. That was shooting with OVF and PD AF, someone shot a video through the viewfinder?

The mirror goes up and down for two reasons: AF tracking between the shots and cocking the shutter between the shots.
I still don't get it.

When you shoot a video, the mirror goes up and stays up, right?

Sure, for (fast) AF the system might work better with the mirror down but I'm talking about fixed focus.

Why does the mirror need to be down for the shutter to be cocked?

AFAIK, the front and rear shutters just move across the plane, so what's stopping this process from repeating whist the mirror is locked up?

Quote:I still don't get it.

When you shoot a video, the mirror goes up and stays up, right?

Sure, for (fast) AF the system might work better with the mirror down but I'm talking about fixed focus.

Why does the mirror need to be down for the shutter to be cocked?

AFAIK, the front and rear shutters just move across the plane, so what's stopping this process from repeating whist the mirror is locked up?

This not a video from the D500.... but from a camera phone......

Someone has filmed (probably  with an iphone, what else?) at the exhibition/photo fair to show what you see when "you look through the optical viewfinder" of the D500 by putting the iphone's lens up to the eyepiece and shooting the D500 at 10 frames a second. (it could be 12 Fps.)

....and it isn't live view  either! 

Breaking news.......

Nikon have just announced the Nikon the D5 accessory pack which will now include a rubber-band for attaching your iphone when filming 4K for longer than three minutes..... Tongue  :lol:  :ph34r:

No, you are not with me.

I am saying that if you frame a shot in LV mode, you now have the mirror up. Right?

So, why can't you press the shutter and get continuous shooting (fixed focus) without the mirror coming down and up again?

This way would you get a higher frame rate?

Quote:No, you are not with me.

I am saying that if you frame a shot in LV mode, you now have the mirror up. Right?

So, why can't you press the shutter and get continuous shooting (fixed focus) without the mirror coming down and up again?

This way would you get a higher frame rate?
A high frame rate with no AF tracking, that hardly ever is a useful feature. 

For a high frame rate you also have to be able to move all that data, by the way, so there are more bottlenecks than just the mirror and shutter.

Why some cameras need to move the mirror to cock the shutter? Because that is how their mechanisms are built, is the only answer I can give. Other DSLRs have separate motor mechanisms for each, and can cock the shutter without using the mirror motor.

And why use the mechanical shutter? Because the sensor lacks a global shutter, for instance, and you get a "rolling shutter" or jello effect with moving subjects, for instance.

So, a combination of these factors is where your answer lies.
OK, thanks.

I knew there must be have been legitimate reasons but I just didn't know.

So, I guess 4K videos (8.3MP) at 30 fps is something like 10 fps 20MP RAW files in terms of how much data that can be moved.

I just checked. On D810, in LV and in continuous shooting mode, the mirror remains up. However, useless for tracking subject because AF-F is too slow, but a burst is basically possible without mirror actuation. After a burst of 24 fullsize raw-shots at 14bit lossless, the fps goes down.

It's the same for D750, except the number of shots in the burst, those are really minuscule.

YES!

So in theory, if a DSLR has both a mechanical and an electronic shutter (not withstanding data flow bottlenecks) it could get to V1-esque speeds of 60 RAW fps?

BTW, I disagree with BC that "A high frame rate with no AF tracking, that hardly ever is a useful feature". There are many cases where you have one central point of interest but what you want is high fps.

For example, a tennis player serving, a golf swing or even freezing a bunch of bees going into their hives.

Yes, but not many DSLRs have faster shutter speeds (electronically) than 1/8.000. And in D810 it's not fully electronically, it's only the 1. curtain. How fast is your V1? I know of a couple of mirrorless going up to 1/32.000 (question is, if that ¾ shorter time does make a huge diff? don't know yet).

With "useless" I meant: I selected AF-C and focus priority, but apparently that doesn't apply to LV and AF-F. Focustracking is of course possible, but not in continuous burst. Rest assured - focus-tracking in "normal", none LV-mode is also missing a lot shots Wink

•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next