Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon buys out Samsung camera division.....rumours???
 The plot thickens as rumours abound about Samsung pulling out of mirror-less, the latest is that Nikon is buying out Samsung's camera division complete with their sensor production.

How would that be?

If some technical staff would be thrown in on the deal,  it would be just what a top flight DSLR camera company would be looking for, given the swing to ILMCs is well underway, how are Canon going to look "if in an instant" Nikon are one of the biggest players in mirror-less world at a stroke?

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/hot-rumo...less-tech/

If it's true it's a super shrewd move! It begs the question as to how long this propositon has been lurking in the background.

If it was is true, Samsungs technology would not go down the pan and maybe there would be some hope for those that have invested in the NX1 and their range of lenses......

As rumours go they don't come much juicier that this!

I'm just curious: what kind of technology from Samsung you have in mind? I simply don't recall any fantastic or great features which could only be found in a Samsung camera. Also, in my eyes it would be a big jump from the most conservative camera manufacturer becoming an advanced and freshly thinking image company. Even Leica as small and expensive brand has more to offer in mirrorless full frame than Nikon. And as far as I'm concerned, I expect no miracles in usability from Nikon.
Quote:I'm just curious: what kind of technology from Samsung you have in mind? I simply don't recall any fantastic or great features which could only be found in a Samsung camera. Also, in my eyes it would be a big jump from the most conservative camera manufacturer becoming an advanced and freshly thinking image company. Even Leica as small and expensive brand has more to offer in mirrorless full frame than Nikon. And as far as I'm concerned, I expect no miracles in usability from Nikon.
How about, their EVFs, Nikon have nothing at that level, their "in house" back lit PD AF sensor 28mps.............. lower noise than the 24 Mps Sony............... 15 Fps frame rate with sophisticated AF to match (years of development)................ straight on to SD card 4K video and high speed processor..........and the ability to put it all together in a complete package........... plus a host of bells and whistles that pretty much made the camera the best APSc mirror-less out there...................... while Nikon dip their toe in the mirror-less water quickly pulling it out again because they got cold feet!!!!!   :o

Who knows if there is anything in this rumour/speculation but the market is going mirrorless slowly but surely and Canon and Nikon haven't really got to first base, sooner or later things are going to tip towards ILMCs big time when the last of the glitches have been overcome, which will leave the pair hanging out to dry by the short and curlies..  :wub: ouch!

Buying in to the technology from a company selling out (probably the best way to get a good deal) which has working/proven products rather than going through expensive development seems a shrew investment to me, set against paying corporation tax!  :unsure:

If true and Nikon manages to negotiate a few of the design team into the bargain, and that's what it will be, a bargain, what's more it make for interesting times.  Big Grin

Another question then, but before I agree that Nikon is not doing great in mirrorless pioneering Smile

"plus a host of bells and whistles that pretty much made the camera the best APSc mirror-less out there."

Do you have one?

Did you work with one?

Honestly, my approach to cameras with bells and whistles is like closing my ears to that noise. Not because I hate them, I'm just to slow to learn and use them at a proper moment. That's also what scares me in this deal. My next Nikon doesn't need more game boys programming huge amounts of bells and whistles. I would be happy to see less of them, but if I'd need them, I'd be happy to remote control it with an iPad or something external. All those menus in contemporary cameras don't exactly make photography easier, but failure more possible.

Examples? On my recent trip I tried to flash a small figure. Came out totally low. Why? I've set the internal flash to remote control an external one, so it was running on low light. A deep dive in the menu solved the issue, but took some time. Occasionally I used prefects and reframed after focusing. Camera didn't release because of focus priority. Switch to manual focus solved that, but subject was long gone. Time lapse video, a real complex thing to set up because of the tiny screen.

Most of these things were fiddly at best to get to. In an app like QDSLR there are much more settings, but they can be overseen better. Each new function is as well a new distraction. And the way Nikon does it, is sometimes more complicated than it had to be.
I would consider this to be a joke.

A Japanese camera company with a history that goes back into the dark ages shall buyout the failed business of a Korean newcomer in this market? It's not going to happen. POSSIBLY the image sensor division but not the camera division.

Even if it made sense - which I doubt - the Japanese pride will prevent this.

Quote:Another question then, but before I agree that Nikon is not doing great in mirrorless pioneering Smile

"plus a host of bells and whistles that pretty much made the camera the best APSc mirror-less out there."

Do you have one?

Did you work with one?

Honestly, my approach to cameras with bells and whistles is like closing my ears to that noise. Not because I hate them, I'm just to slow to learn and use them at a proper moment. That's also what scares me in this deal. My next Nikon doesn't need more game boys programming huge amounts of bells and whistles. I would be happy to see less of them, but if I'd need them, I'd be happy to remote control it with an iPad or something external. All those menus in contemporary cameras don't exactly make photography easier, but failure more possible.

Examples? On my recent trip I tried to flash a small figure. Came out totally low. Why? I've set the internal flash to remote control an external one, so it was running on low light. A deep dive in the menu solved the issue, but took some time. Occasionally I used prefects and reframed after focusing. Camera didn't release because of focus priority. Switch to manual focus solved that, but subject was long gone. Time lapse video, a real complex thing to set up because of the tiny screen.

Most of these things were fiddly at best to get to. In an app like QDSLR there are much more settings, but they can be overseen better. Each new function is as well a new distraction. And the way Nikon does it, is sometimes more complicated than it had to be.
 No I don't have a NX1 and I am more than happy with my Nikon D750, I like full frame, biggish and a bit clunky!

The point here JoJu is the future of photography, I think I am a bit like you (only poorer and older of course) Huh

I am now a fully payed up member of the "old farts club" that means I'm old and can't remember where things are in the menu........I don't locate things in the menu.....they just kinda pop up, and then are lost forever.......  also it means I can only barely see the menu without resorting to a range of  glasses, some of them 1 cm thick!.......... between these afflictions I kinda struggle along getting all sorts of erratic exposures because I've moved the wrong wheel when pressing the wrong button, you know the scenario.....

Enter the new generation......with two zillion Tbs of mental memory, these young up and coming guys navigate the most incomprehensible menus with unbelievable ease never getting lost..... whilst chatting......... barely glancing at the screen they blue tooth to their phone and tablets....remembering four different 36 letter/ digit codes........... WiFi in multiple connections to all their mates by pressing two or three buttons.........take selfies by just winking..........nonchalantly complaining about the lack of features and how much quicker the next processor will be........ and transmit images across the globe whilst sipping strange coloured beverages in moodily lit bars at four o'clock in the morning....no problem!....................................

................The D750 has WiFi, I haven't the slightest idea where it is and what code and dare not go near it......... However I know where the fridge is and how many beers there are in it.....(strange that!)

We on the other hand like big bright FF optical viewfinders and big clunky shutter buttons and things that are mechanically tactile.

In short, there is a new mirror-less generation coming to fruition, they can handle triple EVF information overlays,  in fact the more the merrier,  4K is only a provisional stepping to 32K and  50 Mps is just the beginning........

As Bob Dylan said............... "the times they are a changin"  Tongue

Klaus you could be right,.......but who would have guessed that Ricoh would have bought out Pentax? and after Samsung bailed out from Pentax!  This is a bit of a case of when the music stops who's left holding the camera?

I think Samsung's rumoured mirror-less buy out from Nikon is more understandable for a mainly camera based manufacturer in these changing times, than it was for Ricoh who have more lucrative diverse activities!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/

Time will tell us all!

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/lat...logy-66626

If it's just a fictitious rumour it is indeed  shame! 

Samsung denied: Samsung officially denied all rumors about Nikon buying their NX mirrorless technology

https://translate.google.com/translate?s...edit-text=