Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
System choice: Lens to camera, or Camera to lens?
[quote name='nandadevieast' timestamp='1331832756' post='16735']

Hi,

I love 135L, i have shot with it.

Yes you're right about Canon having these lenses, but i don't want to buy 5DMIII. (i shoot at lower ISO's, center point focus and no high fps for me, but i need higher resolution in order to print big or with more detail)

I also like (not prefer) SLT cameras, which let me use the live view without slowing down, and they have IS too...so A99 type camera can be an equally good option for me, especially if they use the D800 sensor too. But most importantly, the 2 zeiss primes are really very good. I will be street happy with them.

Does the plan work for you?

[/quote]

For me, the essence is the character and qualities of the lens, much less the body choice. I am not sure just how big you want to print, but with my by now lower end 12mp APS-C camera I have no problem printing with excellent results on for instance 75 x 50cm. So, while 24, 36mp sounds great, I would be fine with 18 or 21mp too.

What I very much dislike about SLT is EVF. EVF gives an interpretation of a scene by the camera's computer derived from the current camera settings... An OVF gives me a view of the scene, from which I can decide what settings I would like to achieve a result I can imagine. Quite a fundamental difference, for me. Besides that, I do not like the more artificial, flat feel of an EVF, nor problems using it in certain lighting situations. Nor any lag they still give. Personal I am sure, but food for thought.

Personally, I can not see a use for me for a 135mm portrait lens and IS. Portrait and IS just does not sit will together for me. I am sure someone else will feel/see a purpose for that, under certain low light conditions with a static subject.

The Canon 24mm f2.8, new Canon 24mm f2.8 IS are very good too, as is the more expensive and heavy 24mm f1.4. The Zeiss of course opens up more, but in your (really nice) portfolio I have not seen a photographer with a love for shallow DOF (like I am). So, not sure if that is worthwhile for you or not. And, as you have testified, the 135mm f2 from Canon is a lovely lens too.

Because of my dislike for current EVF implementations, an A99 would not be a consideration for me. Both the D800 and 5D mk III outspec what I would need anyway, and if both are equally nice in usage, both I would be very happy with. For me the 5D would have a bit of a plus still, because of certain lenses which suit me.

Messages In This Thread
System choice: Lens to camera, or Camera to lens? - by anyscreenamewilldo - 03-15-2012, 05:25 PM
System choice: Lens to camera, or Camera to lens? - by Brightcolours - 03-15-2012, 11:28 PM
System choice: Lens to camera, or Camera to lens? - by PuxaVida - 03-16-2012, 08:47 AM
System choice: Lens to camera, or Camera to lens? - by Guest - 03-16-2012, 12:31 PM
System choice: Lens to camera, or Camera to lens? - by Guest - 03-16-2012, 01:25 PM
System choice: Lens to camera, or Camera to lens? - by PuxaVida - 03-16-2012, 04:26 PM
System choice: Lens to camera, or Camera to lens? - by Sylvain - 03-28-2012, 08:02 PM
System choice: Lens to camera, or Camera to lens? - by Sylvain - 03-29-2012, 09:32 PM