Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tokina 11-16mm: Opposite results on photozone and lenstip. Why?
[quote name='Rainer' timestamp='1298579287' post='6332']

You might want to reread the lenstip test ... just to cite them:

Lenstip: "It’s worth adding that its border performance should be rated very high.

Stopping down to F/4 causes the values to reach, or even go beyond

the level 30 lpmm, so it enables us to get really crisp images. "

So ... Lenstip does say: "beyond 30lpmm you get really crisp images" ...

Lenstip does not say "below 30lpmm performance is dismal"

With that, your questions should already be answered.

Just my 1ct ... Rainer

[/quote]

I'm sorry - to be clear I was paraphrasing. They don't call it dismal. That is not a quote.

But, nevertheless, they DO consider lenses tested on the Canon 20D that perform below 30lpmm "unusable".... and, in their test, the Tokina was tested on the Canon 20D.

From their FAQ:

"The oldest tests on the Optyczne.pl were performed on an 8-megapixel sensor of a Canon EOS 20D. In its case the best “primes” reach results near 45 lpmm and when you stop them down to f/16 the resolution decreases to the level a tad above 30 lpmm. That last value is deemed to be the decency borderline."

From their review of the Canon 18-55mm (also tested on the Canon 20D):

"at the maximum aperture, the Canon just exceeds the 30 lpmm decency"

Most tellingly, from their review of the Canon 15-85 (also tested on the Canon 20D):

"Usually, to acknowledge that the lens isn’t bad we require that it reach over 30 lpmm at the maximum aperture, and 40 lpmm at the sharpest apertures."

Edit: Just for the record, I hope this isn't something controversial. I'm just trying to rationalize the differences between the two review sites. Its clear to me that lens testing is complicated stuff - and I guess subtle changes in HOW you test can sometimes lead top opposite conclusions - both of which are based in truth. I guess I'm just looking for an expert's insight into all this. Thanks again for any help

Messages In This Thread
Tokina 11-16mm: Opposite results on photozone and lenstip. Why? - by Guest - 02-24-2011, 08:38 PM