The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.8 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Otus users around? How do you focus?
Last week I asked a dealer who also has lenses to rent, if I could rent an Otus 55 mm to compare it with the Sigma Art. I was curious about how big the differences are. Reply was "no, we don't have them on our list yet, but you could ask for a free 2…3 days tryout". I did, after I explained what I'm up to do and that I don't expect myself giving up my Sigma.

I've not the time nor the equipment to test anything properly. I was just wondering how those two would behave wide open. I know of some tests, I know also of a very nicely done comparison for Nikon by Flowtography Berlin but what I didn't know was how it feels to me and if I could get used to a manual focus lens because a lot of people said (until now me included) that's simply the best lens.

Is there any Otus owner or renter who is able to focus this lens on a Nikon properly wide open without LiveView? I'm asking because for me it's impossible to perform. The focus indicator changes from arrow to dot and remains that way until I turn the focus ring 2…3 mm more, then it changes to arrow again. Without tripod, having an eye on the indicator and at the same time at the small focus frame, well, I just run one eye short… I didn't get a single shot focused on spot by using the indicator or the screen with the Otus when I tried slowly swimming birds - I did get nearly 100 % sharp pictures with the Sigma and D810's excellent AF even with flying birds, although I was shooting wide open.

I consider the lenses as hard to compare. Just the 10% more focal length makes it very difficult to see what is normal enlargement and therefore more information of structure / texture and what is just the sheer resolving power. In the beginning I sized the Otus pictures down to 90…92 % (interestingly, this has to be different for different distances), but then I lost details as I did only work with the previews given by Aperture. I'd expect better result by using 100% Tiff - but only as output quality, I expect no difference in what can be seen. Also, the Otus comes up with about ⅔ … 1 full f-stop brighter results which are to be corrected as well. I could have used Manual mode, but changing lens and focusing properly with LiveView and LCD-loupe takes time, the light was changing as well since I wanted real life samples instead of chart pictures. I could not tell the difference from checking the pictures afterwards on camera LCD

LenScore  finds a difference between them of 1532 resolution points (Otus) to 1160 (Sigma). I was hoping to see some of that massive 32%, but then the sensor of a D810 is only rated to 1051 points. Does this mean, we have to wait to a 50MP Fullframe sensor to get full advantage of an Otus? Conclusion too easy?

I'm curious how Otus owners do regular pictures - or do you always use a tripod and LiveView?

Messages In This Thread
Any Otus users around? How do you focus? - by JJ_SO - 12-23-2014, 08:54 AM
Any Otus users around? How do you focus? - by Guest - 12-25-2014, 01:35 PM