Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
V3
Quote:Well, you're doing the same thing over and over - "You seem to... blablablah". Unfortuantely your explanation has some flaws and that gives me enough doubts not to go deeper in that discussion. It can be done - not matter what you think.

What I miss in your statement is an explanation how the camera manages to override the position of the AF,
The AF position does not get overridden. The only one who can see "focus" is the camera, not the lens. So, if the lens sees that focus should be reached when it tells the lens to move half what it did last time, and the user notes things are NOT in focus, the user can tell the camera that this particular lens is not very precise or not calibrated well by adding an MFA value. The camera will take note of this. Now it can tell the lens instead: move half the distance you last moved minus whatever MFA value stands for.

By the way, there is a way to make PD AF much more precise, and that is to keep on checking and correcting. That will mean with some lenses that the AF will jitter like forever, but manufacturers could make that a user setting. It anyway will be not unlike a continuous focus setting, just with focus confirmation and focus priority.

Quote:but I like to keep it that way, because even if you were right for most existing cameras, there's no reason why it can't be done in the future - it was on my list of wishes for cool features, remember? And I don't give a nickel why it couldn't be done in the past. Your reasons are just not sufficient to convince me in this subject.

Agreed. Micro AF adjustment is a pain and a waste of time, but the keeper rate increases. So what is wrong with wishing an onboard solution? Okay, maybe I just should wish better CD AF and a quick and useful LiveView.Nope, I have that unit, it's one more proof of not thinking to the end.

First, a separate unit: Easy to loose, a cat can swallow it.

LiveView? Yes. 100% magnification? Setting of ISO, shutter speed, aperture, White balance? No. Range? Within 10 metres. CamRanger up to 100 metres with eyesight between cam and device.

And that Nikon says D3300 has WiFi capabilities (after you buy the WT-U) is kind of lying - the camera itself hasn't that.

Back to the thread topic, the V3 does, without any additional device to plug into cam; and has a touchscreen. To put things in perspective: What you're used to use on Canon since, say, three years? is completely new for Nikon users. One of the reasons I welcome this V3.Plain wrong for D800. But I understand that - it's (unnecessarily) difficult to set up and it took me a long while to figure out how it can be done.

Aperture is changing.

In M-Mode switch on the LV, camera symbol, then press the left bottom OK button. Auto-ISO has to be switched off. And I'm not sure if not some parameters in the hundreds of menu positions do need to be changed, too. But I can tell you, it's kind of working although it doesn't simulate the effect of long shutter times - if you refer to that when you say "exposure simulation", you're right.

Quote:Well, you're doing the same thing over and over - "You seem to... blablablah". Unfortuantely your explanation has some flaws and that gives me enough doubts not to go deeper in that discussion. It can be done - not matter what you think.

What I miss in your statement is an explanation how the camera manages to override the position of the AF, but I like to keep it that way, because even if you were right for most existing cameras, there's no reason why it can't be done in the future - it was on my list of wishes for cool features, remember? And I don't give a nickel why it couldn't be done in the past. Your reasons are just not sufficient to convince me in this subject.

Agreed. Micro AF adjustment is a pain and a waste of time, but the keeper rate increases. So what is wrong with wishing an onboard solution? Okay, maybe I just should wish better CD AF and a quick and useful LiveView.Nope, I have that unit, it's one more proof of not thinking to the end.

First, a separate unit: Easy to loose, a cat can swallow it.
As has as I know, the D3300 has en extra internal WiFi unit, which you install once. And as far as I know, the D5300 has one internally included?

Quote:LiveView? Yes. 100% magnification? Setting of ISO, shutter speed, aperture, White balance? No. Range? Within 10 metres. CamRanger up to 100 metres with eyesight between cam and device.

And that Nikon says D3300 has WiFi capabilities (after you buy the WT-U) is kind of lying - the camera itself hasn't that.

Back to the thread topic, the V3 does, without any additional device to plug into cam; and has a touchscreen. To put things in perspective: What you're used to use on Canon since, say, three years? is completely new for Nikon users. One of the reasons I welcome this V3.Plain wrong for D800. But I understand that - it's (unnecessarily) difficult to set up and it took me a long while to figure out how it can be done.

Aperture is changing.

In M-Mode switch on the LV, camera symbol, then press the left bottom OK button. Auto-ISO has to be switched off. And I'm not sure if not some parameters in the hundreds of menu positions do need to be changed, too. But I can tell you, it's kind of working although it doesn't simulate the effect of long shutter times - if you refer to that when you say "exposure simulation", you're right.
Exposure simulation shows you on screen what the resulting exposure will be like according to the exposure settings. As far as I know, the Nikon cameras show an image exposed right for the scene, no matter what the exposure settings are. So you don't get to see what the result will be.

There are more oddities to the Nikon live view implementations, by the way. Not all Nikons have the same drawbacks in live view, the D3/4 series seems to be a bit better?

Messages In This Thread
V3 - by alban - 03-26-2014, 04:13 PM
V3 - by Klaus - 03-27-2014, 09:28 AM
V3 - by alban - 03-27-2014, 10:13 AM
V3 - by JJ_SO - 03-27-2014, 11:14 AM
V3 - by Brightcolours - 03-27-2014, 01:22 PM
V3 - by Guest - 03-27-2014, 05:53 PM
V3 - by JJ_SO - 03-27-2014, 07:36 PM
V3 - by popo - 03-27-2014, 07:39 PM
V3 - by Brightcolours - 03-28-2014, 01:31 PM
V3 - by JJ_SO - 04-01-2014, 05:26 PM
V3 - by Brightcolours - 04-02-2014, 10:04 AM