Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next PZ lens test report: Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 G ED VR II (DX)
I have this lens, I bought it 2.5 years ago.  I can confirm it's excellent performance.

If I were buying now, with the knowledge I have, I would buy the f/4 version.  MST's tests show a comparable performance, and obviously price is a factor.

The f/2.8 is not just 'heavy', weight is concentrated towards the front of the lens by those big elements and instant backache is the result. Even when balanced by a D200 with battery pack and two batteries.

The result of this is that the lens usually stays at home. I know that the f/4 would travel, as I have the 24-70 f/2.8 Nikkor, I use it a lot, and the handling is about the same.

I guess I'm my own worst enemy because I accumulate stuff and never dispose of anything, so it's a keeper - but it does not get the use it should.

There is an interesting article from Lensrentals in the USA, you can get to it through the current DP Review home page.  A This is most likely spam content of hundreds of rented lenses shows failure rates. The various 70-200 lenses - current models - fare badly, as a breed.  No particular reason is suggested, but the sheer complexity of them is pointed-out. No manufacturer covers itself with glory here!

Best wishes to Zoners. Even the upside-down ones.....

Messages In This Thread
Next PZ lens test report: Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 G ED VR II (DX) - by Guest - 08-17-2013, 11:21 AM