Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next PZ lens test report: Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 G ED VR II (DX)
In only can agree, AAC7man, to the things you said to the f/2.8 version and the f/4 version. Just came back from a 2 week cycling trip on the rough roads of Balticum - Lithuania and Russia. The f/2.8 version would clearly had a stay at home, while the f/4 was good to have with me and never a problem of lacking speed - only forgetting to switch on VR which was OFF sometimes because it needs power and when travelling abroad I try to switch off as much energy consuming features as possible.

I understand the weight difference: bigger glass elements, a lot of solid mechanics, metal tubes and not much lightweight plastics on it. So, if there's a problem lateron, repair costs will also be high, just because the mechanics are complex and need every bit of precision.

Here's the link to the repair report: Lensrentals Repair Data: 2012-2013

But as Roger said, one should keep in mind, those lenses are rental stuff and in much worse (ab)use than your own would be, so one has to interprete carefully the mass of data they collected.

I learnt, it pays sometimes to wait with buying fast Nikon lenses. While the 85/1.4G is great, it also has the flaw of being a heavy lens and repairwise, it might be a disadvantage the HSM has to move a big mass of glass, compared to it's less faster brother f/1.8. Today I would go for the less expensive one.

But now: Selling this lens and getting a less faster is something I hesitate to do. That would become a different story, if Sigma relleased one day a 85/1.4 A - because one of the downsides is CA and bokeh fringing of that expensive lens and it could be that this Sigma will become superior. But I even didn't hear any rumours so it might take a little while.

Messages In This Thread
Next PZ lens test report: Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 G ED VR II (DX) - by JJ_SO - 08-17-2013, 03:35 PM