Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next PZ lens test report: Sigma AF 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM | A ("Art")
Yesterday I got a rental specimen of this lens. I think it was the same I had troubles to AF when I borrowed it briefly at Sigma's event in Tour de Peilz.

Now I know why. Given the AFMA numbers I can get with the dock are roughly the same I can get inside my D810, I and to set up camera and lens this way:

0.85 m: +31

1.25 m: +25

2.50 m: +21

∞        : +17 (not completely tested)

No wonder I didn't get a single shot with the AF in focus. That is pretty much the poorest performance I ever saw from a new Sigma lens. From a rental lens, that is - I wonder if this importer wants to scare customers away?

Next to it, it's also the poorest performance of FoCal. At the end I had to use the fully manual FocusTune and LensAlign. because Reikan FoCal's business model is "throw the user out only three years after he paid for a full Pro license". FoCal told me the D810 is not supported although I have dozens of PDF documents from 2015 focus tests done with the D810...

The elder version recognized the body and froze after I wanted to set up the target. I always thought Adobe has a mean business model, but Reikan's is just plain betrayal. 70 quid for sh...t

However, I would be very astonished if I end up buying that lens. It's really over the edge of weight and size. I will take it next week to The Netherlands and before and after that I hope to do some comparison shots with the Fuji 56/1.2 APD.

Edit: FoCal 2.0.x has problems with Mac OS X 10.12, hence it was not working. The developer/supporter recommended me to go in file mode. Meaning: Taking a lot of pictures at various AFMA adjustments, load it into the software and get a result. That's just what LensAlign does only better.

Messages In This Thread
Next PZ lens test report: Sigma AF 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM | A ("Art") - by JJ_SO - 06-30-2017, 11:25 AM