The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.8 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mirrorless cameras - AF microadjustment questions
Good day everyone,

This is a more generic question: I read that mirrorless cameras do not require AF microadjustment (AFMA) anymore, since AFMA is used to calibrate the focus offset between APS(-C) sensor and actual AF sensor (typically phase detection) in a DSLR body, and on mirrorless cameras focusing is done using the one and the same main sensor (using contrast detection). 

Hence, most mirrorless cameras including Canon, Nikon, ... do not have an option in the menu for this, not even Canon's top of the range M5. Some mirrorless Sony Alpha series cameras appear to have an option for AFMA for A-mount (read: DSLR lenses), but not for E-mount (read: mirrorless) lenses.

So far so good - but what does that mean if I were to use a EF(-S) lens using an adapter on e.g. a M5?

I'm asking because I had major trouble with multiple iterations of adjustments for my Tamron 17-50 VC f/2.8 on my EOS 1000D some years ago - as far as I understood it back then from Tamron Support the lens had to be adjusted a *lot* to my 1000D body. It had severe front/back focusing issues.  I also have e.g. a Canon 35mm f/2 (non-IS) and Canon 70-200 f/4 L - both of which I bought used and that are fine on my 1000D, but I do not know if anything was ever adjusted on those.

If I were to buy say an M5 with the EF(-S) adapter from Canon ... since e.g. the Tamron lens was adjusted, would it have a severe front/back focus again? Would it need to go back to Tamron support to zero/reset it? Or would there not be any focus problems expected?

Hope someone knows something about this.

Thanks all!

Messages In This Thread
Mirrorless cameras - AF microadjustment questions - by aleras - 11-28-2017, 10:30 PM
Mirrorless cameras - AF microadjustment questions - by davidmanze - 11-30-2017, 08:20 AM