Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommendations for a RAW converter for Canon
In the Pentax DNG there IS the model name of the camera. And software therefore CAN adjust camera profiles for the RAW conversion.
This is not rocket science, Dave :-P

And you are confusing RAW camera profiles with colour spaces? Why?

And how does your printer cope with the extended ProphotoRGB colour space? I bet not that good. But as long as you like it on your screen?
(10-22-2019, 07:50 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: In the Pentax DNG there IS the model name of the camera. And software therefore CAN adjust camera profiles for the RAW conversion.

And how does your printer cope with the extended ProphotoRGB colour space? I bet not that good. But as long as you like it on your screen?
  At least with Pentax's DNG you do not have to wait for a FW update every time a new model comes out ....... just for some so called camera profile .....

"This is not rocket science, Dave :-P"

I didn't even mention Spacex !!  Smile

I wasn't confusing RAW profiles with colour spaces ..... I was just on a ramble about red saturation ........ which is one of my pet hates. 

As it happens I've just bought a new A4 Epsom ET 2710 printer/scanner with ink tanks ........ 169 euros ..... resolution 5760 X 1440.
  ..... included you get four bottles of printing ink each containing 65 ml  ..... 260 ml in all, (that's more than a standard beer in a bar) each replacement bottle is 10 euros .....
   .... so no more of those scandalously priced cartridges and no temptation to use TPM inks.  Yay !! ......but man is it slow. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

The above shot printed great ..... actually this printers sharpness tests any noise in the image far more than my last Canon did !!

Flickr's red flower group;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jakza/4798...edflowers/
(10-22-2019, 10:56 AM)davidmanze Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 07:50 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: In the Pentax DNG there IS the model name of the camera. And software therefore CAN adjust camera profiles for the RAW conversion.

At least with Pentax's DNG you do not have to wait for a FW update every time a new model comes out ....... just for some so called camera profile .........

Yeah, that's quite a relief regarding the half dozen new Pentaxes per week which hit the market.  Rolleyes

Pentax, Leica and Sigma rely on the DNG format. Other companies have a different concept. Apparently you didn't like the DNG format, dave, since you abandoned Pentax and don't want to invest in a more modern RAW converter than your five year old PS 6? Why am I asking? It ffels suddenly so wrong to ask for an information I don't care much about  Sad
(10-22-2019, 11:26 AM)JJ_SO Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 10:56 AM)davidmanze Wrote:

At least with Pentax's DNG you do not have to wait for a FW update every time a new model comes out ....... just for some so called camera profile .........

Yeah, that's quite a relief regarding the half dozen new Pentaxes per week which hit the market.  Rolleyes

Pentax, Leica and Sigma rely on the DNG format. Other companies have a different concept. Apparently you didn't like the DNG format, dave, since you abandoned Pentax and don't want to invest in a more modern RAW converter than your five year old PS 6? Why am I asking? It ffels suddenly so wrong to ask for an information I don't care much about  Sad

Yeah, Pentax realized that they needed a RAW format that didn't change ........ which stood them in well for their flood of new cameras. Smile

I thought it was clear that I'm still using DNG to this day!
(10-22-2019, 10:56 AM)davidmanze Wrote: [quote='Brightcolours' pid='49028' dateline='1571730605']

As it happens I've just bought a new A4 Epsom ET 2710 printer/scanner with ink tanks ........ 169 euros ..... resolution 5760 X 1440.
  ..... included you get four bottles of printing ink each containing 65 ml  ..... 260 ml in all, (that's more than a standard beer in a bar) each replacement bottle is 10 euros .....
   .... so no more of those scandalously priced cartridges and no temptation to use TPM inks.  Yay !! ......but man is it slow. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

The above shot printed great ..... actually this printers sharpness tests any noise in the image far more than my last Canon did !!

Flickr's red flower group;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jakza/4798...edflowers/

I got this printer big sister Epson L800 with six ink tanks, ink is never a worry, but its heads tend to get clogged so print frequently otherwise you will see yourself spending more ink on head cleaning than on prints
Another advice, use OEM paper and ink or OEM ink plus paper for which manufacturer supplies a color profile to your printer otherwise your colors might be really off.
Last thing but it's pricey, get a printer color calibrator, I got colormunki photo, it has been serving me well for years for all my screens and my printer, this way you have reliable colors whatever ink or paper you use.
Yeah, I fully intend to print at least twice a week !!

As I don't have to worry about exactly matching multiple images such as weddings etc. ....... so I'll just see how it goes !!
(10-22-2019, 05:59 PM)davidmanze Wrote: Yeah, I fully intend to print at least twice a week !!

As I don't have to worry about exactly matching multiple images such as weddings etc. ....... so I'll just see how it goes !!
believe me you might end up with some bad surprises, especially with black color, I once had set wrong paper profile and ended with greenish hair
but worst case scenario, you correct and reprint
Toni, the new version of RawTherapee (free open-source RAW converter) now supports the Canon CR3 RAW file format :-)

Check it out here: https://rawtherapee.com/downloads/5.8/
--Florent

Flickr gallery
downloaded it, and tried, it supports only uncompressed RAW, but still a very good option, many thanks
Canon does not offer uncompressed RAW, but offers lossless compressed RAW as standard, and with the new CR3 format, also lossy (extra) compressed C-RAW.