Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next PZ lens test report: Sigma AF 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM | A ("Art")
Allow me some "re-tests", please, lenses which Klaus has already tested on Canon, to return to practice Smile

http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon_ff/959-sigma5014dgfx
Editor
opticallimits.com

Markus, thank for this review. Glad to see Nikon section with new review.
And some people ask "why do we need this lens when we can have an AF-S 50/1.8 for like 1/3 the price..."

Great result for a great lens. I like to add, in cityscapes at night I had less trouble to focus than I had with a Zeiss Otus I was comparing at the time. Although the Zeiss is cleaner in the colours and light spots in the corner remain pointy spots instead of butterfly shapes - but the pictures itself were less sharp.

Quote:And some people ask "why do we need this lens when we can have an AF-S 50/1.8 for like 1/3 the price..."
That really made me smile now... because for my own gear, I chose the AF-S 50/1.8... Wink

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

I was referring to a real thread on the Nikon board at FredMiranda.com where a guy has created a veritable shitestorm by asking this question. Though most people rightly pointed that the dilemma is really invalid as everyone has his/her own needs and performance benchmarks...

Me, I'm pretty much done choosing and my 50mm of choice to replace the Canon 1.8 II will be the Tamron 45/1.8 VC. Someday...

Quote:And some people ask "why do we need this lens when we can have an AF-S 50/1.8 for like 1/3 the price..."
..and check the weight...
Quote:..and check the weight...
  I've settled on the Nikon AF50mm 1.8 D.......... err..AFS....  1/3rd of the price of the Sigma ..............................ouch .the suffering ...my life already!

157 gms!.... at 40 euros that's less than 25 cents the gramme!

Guys, you just don't see the secondary use of it. Self-defense. How often did I have to threaten some groupies wanted to rip off my underwear...  B)

Self defence is not even so strange. When I was in Bogota, my gf warned me about criminals robbing people going up mountain top s surrounding mountain tops. We went up one with steps (very annoying an tiring, steps up a mountain) and came across a group of 3 young men who were out of place. They were at an age that they would not go up mountains on free days for their enjoyment, or be interested looking at the church on top. When we reached the top, they crossed our path peculiarly often. When we looked out over the city, they apparently decided to strike. One of the boys came towards us, and I gripped my camera around the barrel of the Tokina 12-24mm that was on it, apparently with a look on my face which all of a sudden made the view more interesting to the guy than me or my backpack.  I guess he thought Tokina would not taste that great, and after that we did not come across the group of little creeps anymore. A small 50mm f1,8 might not have had the same impression.