Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for low light lens, some review scores seem inconsistent?
I'm looking for a low light lens for my m43 camera, possibly a prime because the 2.8 zooms are expensive (and maybe not wide enough, I haven't decided on this yet). So I have been pondering about the focal length, initially thinking 42.5 1.7 or 25 1.7 could be good. But now I'm more interested in the 15-25 area.

I'm trying to look for a lens that has good corner sharpness, because my subject most of the time isn't @ center of the lens, but either left or right side corners (that's the kind of composition I've been using now). So I looked at the photozone reviews and found some inconsistency with some reviews. The Olympus 17mm f1.8 has 2.7/2.2/2.1 MTF score wide open, whilst the panasonic 20mm f1.7 is 2.5/21/1.9  .  It would look like that the 17mm f1.8 has slightly better corner performance, but why is it that 20mm f1.7 gets "highly recommended" stamp and slightly better score, when MTF charts looks to show Olympus to be better?

Which lens should I be looking for if I want something that gives same fov as 35mm FF lens gives? I want something with strong corner performance wide open (1.8 or wider).

Quote:I'm looking for a low light lens for my m43 camera, possibly a prime because the 2.8 zooms are expensive (and maybe not wide enough, I haven't decided on this yet). So I have been pondering about the focal length, initially thinking 42.5 1.7 or 25 1.7 could be good. But now I'm more interested in the 15-25 area.

I'm trying to look for a lens that has good corner sharpness, because my subject most of the time isn't @ center of the lens, but either left or right side corners (that's the kind of composition I've been using now). So I looked at the photozone reviews and found some inconsistency with some reviews. The Olympus 17mm f1.8 has 2.7/2.2/2.1 MTF score wide open, whilst the panasonic 20mm f1.7 is 2.5/21/1.9  .  It would look like that the 17mm f1.8 has slightly better corner performance, but why is it that 20mm f1.7 gets "highly recommended" stamp and slightly better score, when MTF charts looks to show Olympus to be better?

Which lens should I be looking for if I want something that gives same fov as 35mm FF lens gives? I want something with strong corner performance wide open (1.8 or wider).

The Oly was tested on 16mp, the Pana on 12mp ... thus the results are not cross comparable.

As a coarse guidance, you may ignore the numeric scale and just compare the segments of the bar charts.