Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
d300s with Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S NIKKOR
hi to all, new here but had the d300s for arround 5 yrs.

Im interested in buying the above lens for extra wide angle shots but im unsure if im wasting money on an FX compatible lens but only using it on a DX camera.

Has anyone any experience on this combo?

If anyone can suggest a better option i'll gladly accept advice.

cheers...john

Had the Nikon AF-S DX 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED, still have 14-24/2.8. I feel this massive glass a bit pointless just for DX. Had also a Sigma 10-20/3.5 (which was or still is on sale in some countries). If you don't want to go FX. I recommend the 10-24. M 77 filter size, lightweight, decent performance. The Sigma appeared to be better, but also heavier. Had that in my Pentax time and I liked it a lot.

Better look at some APS-C lenses instead, the weight and shape of the AF-S 14-24mm f2.8 is cumbersome, for the equivalent 21mm you will get on APS-C with it. Or get the 14-24mm, and a 2nd hand D700 right with it.

Lenses to consider instead: 
  • Sigma 8-16mm for the widest possible view
  • Sigma 10-24mm f4.5-5.6 (2nd hand)
  • Nikkor 10-24mm
  • Tokina 11-16mm f2.8
If you seriously consider this 14-24mm f4, seriously look at the new Tamron 15-30mm f2.8 Di VC USD also. It is as sharp or sharper, has less flare problems, is quite a bit cheaper and all in all a great lens.

Quote:hi to all, new here but had the d300s for arround 5 yrs.

Im interested in buying the above lens for extra wide angle shots but im unsure if im wasting money on an FX compatible lens but only using it on a DX camera.

Has anyone any experience on this combo?

If anyone can suggest a better option i'll gladly accept advice.

cheers...john
Why not get the Voigtlander 20/3.5?! A nice lens on my FX camera, easily as good on  a DX camera!
Quote:Why not get the Voigtlander 20/3.5?! A nice lens on my FX camera, easily as good on  a DX camera!

But not "really wide" anymore on DX...

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Thanks to all for your replies.

My intention is to move over to full frame when funds permit(Hopefully next year) 

So my dilemma is do i buy a better camera now for which i dont have good lenses to compliment or buy lenses with the future in mind and will do a reasonably good job on my existing camera?

So i hope its a progressive step.

cheers..john

Don't wait too long given DSLRs dinosaurs are slowly but surely on their way to extinction...  :unsure:

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:Thanks to all for your replies.

My intention is to move over to full frame when funds permit(Hopefully next year) 

So my dilemma is do i buy a better camera now for which i dont have good lenses to compliment or buy lenses with the future in mind and will do a reasonably good job on my existing camera?

So i hope its a progressive step.

cheers..john
I still would not want to lug a 1 kilo lens with me for the 21-36mm full frame equivalent range, with a flare issue to boot. Makes little sense to me to buy a lens for full frame, when you don't have a full frame camera yet, either.

How about wait till you can get both? The 14-24mm will get cheaper meanwhile, and maybe that Tamron 15-30mm is the better buy anyway. 
The dinosaurs will remain in place for a little while while the smaller and younger mammals try to catch up in speed and quality. And they remain being little animals compared to the dinosaurs. Not everybody likes those tiny things.

I also bought some FX primes before I went FF, but the zooms came later. Maybe a good idea: rent or borrow a FF body with one or two lenses to see if that' sweat you want. Depending where you live, the rental costs could be lower than your loss of money in "upgrading" to FF. It's not only more expensive but also heavier and bulkier.
The 14-24 may get more expensive - nikon is consistently raising prices right now.  The tamron 15-30 certainly has some stupider design decisions (e.g must disassemble down to zoom cam to remove built in hood and replace if you break it), and the copy-to-copy variance remains to be seen.  I expect within a month there will be data for 14-24 and the tamron.