Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony A7R II announced
Quote:Well, let's say it this way - the A7R was severely flawed with zero customer support from Sony.

The A7R II makes the EOS 5Ds ® look very dated though ...
It had the shutter vibration problem, which from a testers point of view rendered it useless certainly, but from a photographers point of view it still had a lot going for it. But the latest model is way more expensive.
It's bad in the UK based on pre-order pricing. At one major dealer, A7R2 £2.1k, compared to £3k and £3.2k for the 5Ds / 5DSR respectively. The Sony is even cheaper than the 5D3 street price!

Since my early days of serious photography I've always thought the best combo would be a Sony DSLR body (before SLTs) with Canon lenses. And that time has come around again. Maybe I should have another look at the electronic adapters...

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Which Sony DSLR would have been best then?  Only the A700 had good AF, and pretty bad IQ at higher ISO.  

About the prices: 

Here the Sony A7r II costs €3499. The Canon EOS 5Ds costs €3548. The UK price is not yet announced, and the £2.1k price you quote most probably is not a real price. Since the US price is $3200 (without tax), the UK price will probably be around £3200 (that is how UK prices go).

It still will have the tiny battery, the maimed RAW format. And will it have a charger, or are you still supposed to plug the camera in to charge the battery? 

Quote: 

It still will have the tiny battery, the maimed RAW format. And will it have a charger, or are you still supposed to plug the camera in to charge the battery? 

A7s came with two batteries and a charger, but even if doesn't, big deal. charger are  $10 on ebay. One thing it will have for sure would be a better sensor with more DR than Canon can ever make.  
Ok, going back to that dealer, it does say "price to be confirmed" now I look more closely. I didn't see it elsewhere so that was the only data point I had. Unfortunately I'm aware of the £/US$ exchange rate that usually happens. I guess my optimism was misplaced. I'd love a "high MP" body, but I'm not going to pay much more than £2k for one. This is definitely a "want" not a "need".

My memory is fading a bit but it was the a500 series that I liked, compared to the equivalent Canon offerings at the time. But by that time I had already gone dual system with Canon, primarily for the longer lenses. Sony didn't release the 70-400 until later and it didn't make sense to switch back again.

Oh, don't knock in body charging. I have a Sony and Canon compact. The Canon is better in sensor/lens specifications, so I only use the Sony! I love being able to plug in a USB cable to charge it, as opposed to taking out the battery and putting it in a mains charger. Makes travel packing a lot easier.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Yeah, always nice for when one is a severe shadow puller  Big Grin

I find the "more DR" argument always quite silly.

However, with this sensor having BSI architecture, it might actually be better at very high ISO, something the low MP A7s kinda failed to deliver on. 

We will know in a while?

Quote: 

Oh, don't knock in body charging. I have a Sony and Canon compact. The Canon is better in sensor/lens specifications, so I only use the Sony! I love being able to plug in a USB cable to charge it, as opposed to taking out the battery and putting it in a mains charger. Makes travel packing a lot easier.
The problem with small capacity batteries and in body charging is that you have to charge multiple batteries, and can't shoot while you are charging the others.
Ok, there's a difference between a light travel system, and a does everything system. As long as a battery lasts long enough and you can top up between uses, it isn't a problem. If a single battery doesn't last long enough and you start managing multiple batteries, then fair enough a dedicated charger makes more sense there. Technically there isn't a reason you can't have both.

I don't want to drag this further off topic, but I do recognise USB offers a limited amount of power so it will make the most sense for smaller batteries only. Bigger ones could take a long time to charge. e.g. a 500mA port would require ~6 hours to charge the 7D2's battery from flat, maybe longer depending on the degree of inefficiency.

As a vague attempt to swing this back towards topic, I hope some of the A7R2 features make it into an APS-C sensor body.

With the size and price of batteries these days if you have to take four out for a days shooting it's not exactly the end of the world!
Who was talking about taking 4 out being the end of the world?  Tongue It is nicer when 1 battery lasts the day, and I think it is a bother when you want to charge more than 1 battery and have to do that in-camera. That were my contemplations about the implementation.