Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What should be the ideal choice of prime lenses in a MFT bag?
Since changing to MFT and using it daily, I must admit to using the 12-40 2.8 a lot. It is sharp and the Af is excellent on the EM1. However, I also have some good primes, the 75 1.8, the 12 f2, and the 17 1.8. I would love to hear your ideas about the ideal choice of prime lenses in this format; I must admit that the 42.5 1.2 seems excellent and so does the 25 1.4. 

Would you help me create the "best" bag, virtual or not?

OK, I'm on Pentax but I've been on the fence about moving to u43 for about 6 months now so I've spent far too much time poring over lens reviews so I'll play along.  

It seems like there are many great choices in primes including Olympus, Panasonic and Sigma.

For me, the ultimate cost-is-no object kit would be:
  • Oly 12/2 -  This is my favourite focal length and this lens is actually faster than my Pentax 15/4.
  • Pana 20/1.7 - The PanaLeica is lovely and silent, but has a very long minimum focus distance (very Leica-like!).  The 20/1.7 has something special, I've been impressed by all the sample images from it.  It's noisy, but small.  Anyways, many other options including the Oly 25 and 17.
  • Pana 42.5/1.2 - Darn nice.  Over-priced but I've never seen any comments from users regretting purchasing it.
  • Oly 75/1.8 - Top performer.  I don't use focal lengths over 45mm (90mm equiv.) so often but I'd sure like to have this in my bag and it's small enough to carry all the time.
Best bang-for-the buck:
  • Oly 9/8 - Cheap. Fisheye. Fun. I'd add this to the ultimate list as well...
  • Pana 14/2.5 OR Pana 12-32 - Toss up for me.  The 12-32 is small enough to act as a poor man's prime.  The 14 is faster and pretty nice for the price.
  • Pana 20/1.7 - See above...
  • Oly 45/1.8 - Great performance and great price.
  • Pana 35-100 - The f/4-5.6 version.  Again, I don't use long focal lengths often, but this is prime-small enough to keep in the bag.
(The Sigma lenses seem really good (and inexpensive) but the focal lengths and apertures do nothing for me....).

Old Wolf, seems like you have most of the good lenses already!