•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new Nikon gear
This post talks about (see the end) a new "ring-shaped flare", due to the very specific design of the lens:

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/01/06/nikons...ined.aspx/

I suppose it will be a problem when shooting at the sun, e.g. for sunsets? And perhaps even the moon?

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Quote:This post talks about (see the end) a new "ring-shaped flare", due to the very specific design of the lens:
Interesting. I wonder if this also is a problem with Canon DO lenses... I once owned the 70-300 DO, but don't remember anything like this in my shots... but I rarely shoot at night anyway.

But I remember that the 400 DO was said to have a little less bokeh quality than the other "great whites" due to the character of the DO element.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:I'm wondering. Since I've close to no experience with focal lengths at 300 ('sides of the "soso" 28-300, which is crap at 300 mm) and above and am looking currently on "still no delivery date" on the Sigma 150-600, I start thinking about getting this new lightweight lens, maybe a 1.7× converter and save some 2 kg of weight.
I'm thinking in a similar way, I would prefer a 1.4 TC though. Add the 70-200/4 VR and you have a very versatile setup regarding focal length, but still rather compact. Plus the latest VR technology in both lenses. And you need to purchase that tripod collar only once Wink

A shame, btw, not to add it as default accessory to the 300/4 VR... at that price.

However: I haven't seen the TCs mentioned anywhere in the press releases, so I'm not sure if the 300/4 VR is actually compatible with them. Anybody seen anything about it?

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:I'm thinking in a similar way, I would prefer a 1.4 TC though. Add the 70-200/4 VR and you have a very versatile setup regarding focal length, but still rather compact. Plus the latest VR technology in both lenses. And you need to purchase that tripod collar only once Wink

A shame, btw, not to add it as default accessory to the 300/4 VR... at that price.

However: I haven't seen the TCs mentioned anywhere in the press releases, so I'm not sure if the 300/4 VR is actually compatible with them. Anybody seen anything about it?

-- Markus
The 1.4x TC is officially compatible, as it will fit and keep the f-value to f5.6. The 1.7x TC will not be officially compatible because it will get the f-value past f5.6. But it will fit just fine, and in good light most bodies will focus with it fine too, at least with the center AF point.

Scynthels, you seem to not be aware that the reason for the short length is due to the special nature of the PF element, and that such an element does its work without increased aberrations (and so without the need for extra elements)? same as with the DO elements from Canon.

The new 400mm f2.8E has no such tele ratio, yet also uses 16 elements, in 12 groups. I just found the PR blurb statement funny.

Quote:The 1.4x TC is officially compatible, as it will fit and keep the f-value to f5.6. The 1.7x TC will not be officially compatible because it will get the f-value past f5.6. But it will fit just fine, and in good light most bodies will focus with it fine too, at least with the center AF point.

I suppose it works as with the current AF-S 300mm f/4, which autofocuses in a satisfactory way with the 1.7x even for BIFs.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
"AF-S Teleconverters TC-14E III/ TC-17E II*/TC-20E III*

<p class="" style="color:rgb(153,153,153);font-family:Verdana, Roboto, 'Droid Sans', sans-serif;">* Autofocus is available only with single-servo AF (AF-S) and then only when the lens is mounted on a camera that supports f/8."

Source: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/sin...r/spec.htm

Wink
Quote: 

"AF-S Teleconverters TC-14E III/ TC-17E II*/TC-20E III*

<p style="color:rgb(153,153,153);font-family:Verdana, Roboto, 'Droid Sans', sans-serif;">* Autofocus is available only with single-servo AF (AF-S) and then only when the lens is mounted on a camera that supports f/8."

<div> 

Source: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/sin...r/spec.htm

Wink

</div>

I can't reproduce now, because the TC20II broke at some point, but I'm pretty sure that the AF-S 300 f/4 autofocuses, albeit slowly, with the 2x. In fact I have sharp bird (not in flight) photos back from 2006. 
stoppingdown.net

Quote:Source: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/sin...r/spec.htm
Thanks, felix! I looked there earlier yesterday (as well as on nikon.de), but the TCs weren't mentioned, then.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:I'm thinking in a similar way, I would prefer a 1.4 TC though. Add the 70-200/4 VR and you have a very versatile setup regarding focal length, but still rather compact. Plus the latest VR technology in both lenses. And you need to purchase that tripod collar only once Wink
The 70-200/4 is quite fine, but it sucks together with the tripod collar. If I use it on a D800 with it's strong shutter vibration, all pictures @ 200 mm were sharper when I put the camera direct on the tripod head. By using the collar and no VR, only shutter times of 1/500 and faster were not blurred by movement. It's the plastic tube were the collar has to be placed. This part is not stiff enough. No problem, because the 70-200 is lightweight enough. The collar rests in one of those drawers full of useless accessories… a shame because it's overpriced.

Quote:A shame, btw, not to add it as default accessory to the 300/4 VR... at that price.

If you want a collar and already have Arca-Swiss plates, it might be worth to have a look a Really Right Stuff versions - a little more expensive, but more versatile. See http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/AF-...ckage.html

Let's hope the new 300 is a bit better in that aspect, but you're right: at that price it should come with the lens.

Converter is not on first place in my list, but it's cool to have the possibility. AFAIK the TC-14E III is not changing the f-value to f/5.6, it remains at 4, only the TC-17E III changes it to f/6. But anyway, fiddling around with converters is the third best. After a zoom lens (heavy) and after a prime (expensive).

•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next