Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pentax K-S1
so here it is ...

http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/dslr/K-S1_Standard
A family camera for you and kids if you visit a circus often....Smile

I'm surprised, given it's compact dimensions, that the don't have a limited mounted on it like the DA21 for example, the kit lens looks too long!

Now we can compare it to its main rival, the Canon EOS 100D/SL1:

http://j.mp/1qatRnx

About the same size (100D is a bit smaller).

Plusses for the Pentax:

1. 100% view finder
  2. Pentaprism (see weight below)
  3. AA-filterless for those who like the suggested sharpness from the pixel grid
  4. IS in body
  5. 5 fps vs. 4 fps
  6. 1/6000th sec vs 1/4000th sec for those who happen to use a very fast lens (difference ~1/3rd stop)
  7. A bit higher resolution, 20 vs. 18mp
  8. Focus peaking in live view. 100D will have to wait till ML is running.
Plusses for the Canon:

1. Weight (407g vs. 558 g)
  2. AA-filter (for those who do not like the fake detail/edges/aliasing/moire from the AA-less sampling grid)
  3. IS in lenses
  4. Design/styling
  5. Haptic 
  6. Slightly higher flash sync, 1/200th sec vs 1/180th sec.
  7. Mirror lock up
  8. Much lower price
All in all they have their own virtues it seems. Nice to see more small DSLRs.

Quote:I'm surprised, given it's compact dimensions, that the don't have a limited mounted on it like the DA21 for example, the kit lens looks too long!
The "Limited" that makes most sense on this camera is the 21mm f3.2 ("~35mm FF equivalent"). It costs an almost eye watering $700/€600..... So while it makes sense as a lens for this small DSLR, it is a bit too expensive to sell it as a kit, or to use it in the marketing campaign.

Same for the 35mm f2.8 macro ("~50mm FF equivalent"), which would make for a nice standard prime + macro (€650). 

On a side note, I bought the Voigtländer 20mm f3.5 SL II N for €400, and my Canon EF-M 22mm f2 for €70 (new).
Pentax has always asked silly prices for novelty cameras at the outset, until they have realized their errors, it will look a lot better at $600, also the active AA filter. The viewfinder is in a different class.

The 35mm F2.4 is a very decent lens!

Brightcolours, just curious - why is the design/styling a plus for the Canon? IMHO Canon DSLRs are more or less shapeless blobs, while the Pentax was designed.

The K-S1 has the AA filter simulator and it should have "mirror lock up" with the 2s timer.

Quote:Brightcolours, just curious - why is the design/styling a plus for the Canon? IMHO Canon DSLRs are more or less shapeless blobs, while the Pentax was designed.
The K-S1 has the AA filter simulator and it should have "mirror lock up" with the 2s timer.
Because the Canon is designed to be functional and more or less ergonomic, where the Pentax seems to be gimmicky with 1980's chinese Audio styling and nonsensical LEDs strewn all over it. I doubt that many will find it attractive, but not everyone has taste (or "the same taste"), and some Pentax fans will like Pentax (Ricoh) stuff no matter what...

The K-S1 does not have an AA filter, and as you know, the filter "simulator" does not work with short exposure times. When one needs mirror lock up, 2 seconds is often not enough of a pause to let the vibration die down (depends on the combination of support, lens weight, lens length, and exposure duration).
I tend to agree with Brightcolors here.

The handling of Canon EOS camera is very "clean" IMHO. I wouldn't know how to improve this anymore.

As far as "design" is concerned ... the bets are probably better placed on the mirrorless side here.

Just take a Pentax camera, and you'll see how it can be done better. Wink I agree that the K-S1 is not the best example, though. Actually I wouldn't buy it nor recommend, there are better choices in Pentax-land.

Regarding styling, we have a shapeless blob (Canon) compared with a camera which actually looks pretty decent. I saw them both, the LEDs are nowhere near as bad as they're made to be, they're actually functional, they're not the most prominent feature of the camera - and they can be disabled. Sorry, it's still a win for Pentax. The accusations of lacking taste is quite tasteless, by the way :p

The handling, I guess it's subjective. The K-S1 is definitely a step backwards from the current K-mount DSLRs - the grip is not as supportive, I'd rather lug around a K-3 - but it's not bad, and the controls are logically placed and easy to reach (unless you expect them to be like on a Canon). The mode wheel works just fine, however the 4-way buttons are harder to press.

OTOH I cannot comfortably hold an entry level Canon or Nikon. YMMV.

The AA filter simulator should have no issue up to 1/1000, and after that it doesn't stop working - it's efficiency is dropping. Don't consider it as effective as an optical AA filter, that's fine, but you should mention it when doing such comparisons.

I'm amazed (and admit not knowing it) they put mirror lock-up on the 100D; even if hidden as a custom function. A plus for the Canon, OK. But you wouldn't get either of them if you're looking for maximum image quality.