Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR
HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR (tentative)
・High Resolution 5.3times standard zoom lens in small and light weight size
・Weather-resistant construction
・High-grade HD coating
・Smooth, quiet AF operation thanking to a lens-installed AF driving motor
・Market launch: Winter 2014 (tentative)

[Image: 1_da1685_photokina2014.jpg]

I remember 2010 Photokina and high expectations for the new 18-135mm... And no new fast primes... Anyway, it is nice that at least something is going on.
...and I remember Samsung promised 16-80mm lens three years ago...

An aside;  A leak from a French photography magazine stated that Pentax had quietly announced to them their intentions to market a FF DSLR  set to be launched in 2015 and was backed by facebook postings supposedly coming from Ricoh/Pentax.

The response on DPRs Pentax talk forum yesterday was wildly enthusiastic, almost hysterical as people were bringing out their FF lenses and generally  celebrating the advent of this new awaited FF. An atmosphere of sheer joy!

This morning the jubilation was severely ruptured  by the posting of an interview from Ricoh/Pentax at Photokina stating nothing more than their usual "under-development whilst studying the markets" spiel,

I swear I could hear the  forum members crying!

Dave's clichés
Quote:An aside;  A leak from a French photography magazine stated that Pentax had quietly announced to them their intentions to market a FF DSLR  set to be launched in 2015 and was backed by facebook postings supposedly coming from Ricoh/Pentax.

The response on DPRs Pentax talk forum yesterday was wildly enthusiastic, almost hysterical as people were bringing out their FF lenses and generally  celebrating the advent of this new awaited FF. An atmosphere of sheer joy!

This morning the jubilation was severely ruptured  by the posting of an interview from Ricoh/Pentax at Photokina stating nothing more than their usual "under-development whilst studying the markets" spiel,

I swear I could hear the  forum members crying!

To be fair, it's pentaxforums interviewers that are underwhelming. I've seen another interview of Mr Hiraku Kawauchi by a french website, in which he confirmed the development of the camera (previous statements were rather amongst the lines of "exploring the technology").
In Pentax Forum's interview with Pentax when talking about FF  Pentax stated, "FF sales are increasing and our development of FF is underway , but we will be looking at market trends" 

Pentax has been developing FF for 6-7 years saying pretty much the same thing.

So make of that what you will!

Dave's clichés
In 2010, they said it was an absolute no-go, that APS-C was the full frame, period. In 2012, they mumbered something about "analyzing the situation", and it was in january 2013 that it was acknowledged that a functional prototype was assembled. It has not been that long, and it's no secret that the problem is not the body, but the lens line.

In fact Pentax had produced a prototype in I think 2008/9 which they "showed" at a trade fair and was widely reported, which was where the Pentaxians hopes were raised initially. 

The market trends they are waiting for could well be the percentage of sales of FF in the DSLR market, once it hits a certain figure I think that will trigger them into action. However to arrive in the market with their first model that's capable of rivaling Canon or Nikon will be one hell and all of an ask!

BTW. The new Canon 7DII just shows what the Canon mice have been up to while the Pentax cat has been away! 

Dave's clichés
[Citation needed], you're just making things here. The only prototype displayed have ever been the MZ-D in 2000~2001.

Oh, and apparently we now have two non DA K-lenses on the roadmap.

Quote:[Citation needed], you're just making things here. The only prototype displayed have ever been the MZ-D in 2000~2001.

Oh, and apparently we now have two non DA K-lenses on the roadmap.
Pentax displays prototypes often. They did so for teh to be K10, they did so for the MF camera in several iterations. I don't recall an FF prototype, but they are the only company which often has showed prototype cameras.

Anyway: http://photorumors.com/2014/09/16/ricoh-...g-in-2015/