Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leica Scott glass CCD gate
http://lavidaleica.com/content/new-leica...ndal-afoot

Leica lost my trust earlier this year when I brought a friend's M8 there (I broke the rear display). According to Leica, the M8 rear display is no longer available and thus the camera can not be repaired. The only thing they offer is a rebate on the purchase of a new camera.

Leica cameras used to be a "once in a lifetime investment". Of course we're all aware that this can no longer apply to any digital advice (even the rather conservative Leica target group (and even Leica themselves) slowly realize this), but it's still ridiculous that one of the very few remaining premium camera manufacturers can no longer service a product that has been current until just 5 years ago.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

That's disgraceful at the very top price level! A manufacturer of this salt should keep spares for at least 8-10 years.

Perhaps that could be their new slogan; The most expensive throw away cameras in the world!

I'm mixed here; 5 years is an eon in terms of electronics; on the other hand the rear display should have been fixable and I am susprise they had no spare parts.

Quote:I'm mixed here; 5 years is an eon in terms of electronics; on the other hand the rear display should have been fixable and I am susprise they had no spare parts

Not mixed  here!

Leica is a company that counts on it's reputation of reliability and solid quality construction, their cameras are supposed to be "investments", something that should have been brought through to digital cameras!

As a matter of interest  I have a Marconi valve radio from 1924,  so 90 years old  ( 18 eons! ) , last time I tried it it still worked, I think it has had a couple of valves in it's lifetime (four pin valves with 2 volt filaments).   

If there's much more of that from Leica their reputation will be down the toilet........   Pentax still repair K20s!

BTW. I'm soon to have thirteen eons, let's see.......  one M8 eon = $6,000 approx. X 13 eons = bankruptcy!  :lol:

I saw reports of Leica not being able yo fix broken M8 before. The first time I thought that can't be - but the person was serious.

Isn't there a legal requirement on periods a company must be able to fix products?
enjoy
Here's Leica's official response to M8 and M8.2 owners problems with their LCD screens!

"Non Availability of Replacement LCD Screens for M8

Not sure if you are aware of this statement posted on the Leica User Forum, it has certainly trigered some debate and raised some concerns. The following Quote was Posted and whilst it refers to the "coffe stain issue" it impacts any user who has an issue with that component

"As promised yesterday by JJ, please let me state our position about the serviceability of the M8 and M8.2 Display.

First of all, we are very sorry, that some of you encountered issues with your cameras. It remains our aim to find the very best solutions to satisfy you. Please let me give you some more information and details on the display issue.

The cameras with a display problem stay operational, image quality and the main functions are not affected.

The effect only occurs on a single production lot of displays, both built into M8 and M8.2.

The serial number of the camera doesn’t give information about the lot of the display.

The lot in question was pulled out of service stock as soon as we have recognized the issue.

Meanwhile the manufacturer of the LCD displays had stopped production, in general these parts have a very short life cycle and Leica did not have a possibility for additional production. As the display and the rest of the electronics are linked very much together, it was not possible to create a repair solution up to our quality requirements.

The display of the M9/M9-P is a different display and is sourced from another manufacturer and is therefore not affected. For the M9 as for all our products, we are taking measures that we are able to service the camera for a period of at least ten years after production will stop.

...........  In the case that (especially electronic-) parts are no longer available, we will offer an upgrade program. As you know, we have quite a history of being able to service our products for a period much longer than that!..............

The upgrade program will work with both a M9 or M9-P, with a slightly different premium. Please contact your local Leica Customer Care for details should you have concerns with your M8/ M8.2 display.

Best regards from Solms,

Stefan Daniel, Director Product Management"

Be yourself you know its true and in the end whats left is you....."

Read more at http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/for...F2YTXvv.99

"I just love that unavailable electronic parts disclaimer to the guarantee" it's so so reassuring!  (cynical) 

Well it's of little compensation to you MST and other owners with dead screens who are being asked to cough up for a new M9 with conveniently unmentioned price concession to ensure that you remain in the fold, but at least there is an explanation of events. 

This of course begs the question "that in this time" of marching technology and ever advancing digital progress, is it really worth paying several thousand pounds to be able to bathe in the knowledge that you have the worlds most beautifully constructed Leica camera bodies when inside there are the same quality of electronic components and sensors as you would find in a basic model Canon DSLR? 

In the days of film, the IQ advanced with improving film stock, the price of a roll of film, now, you need another camera!

yours truly

Quote:Leica lost my trust earlier this year when I brought a friend's M8 there (I broke the rear display). According to Leica, the M8 rear display is no longer available and thus the camera can not be repaired. The only thing they offer is a rebate on the purchase of a new camera.Leica cameras used to be a "once in a lifetime investment". Of course we're all aware that this can no longer apply to any digital advice (even the rather conservative Leica target group (and even Leica themselves) slowly realize this), but it's still ridiculous that one of the very few remaining premium camera manufacturers can no longer service a product that has been current until just 5 years ago.-- Markus

That sounds strange. It was said that Leica has parts available even for M3.
I don't think the M3 has a lot of 3rd party electronics...